Jun 24, 2010, 1:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: Of course, two minutes after I hit “post” on this bad boy word comes down: Crawford has a sore shoulder. Not sure why it’s sore. I won’t even speculate, because the minute I do someone will say it was for some other reason. Upshot: Crawford is out of the Rays-Padres game. Adjust your wagers appropriately.
1:21 P.M.: The Padres and Rays are playing a daytime tilt and Carl Crawford just left the game for no apparent reason. Crawford had grounded out to second base in his first at-bat, but then was replaced by Ben Zobrist.
It has to be some kind of an injury. Guys often leave games with bad calfs or groins or whatever after getting back to the dugout and stiffening up. Though a lot of folks on Twitter — fan types, not media types — are speculating that he’s been traded.
Honestly, though: when was the last time an in-game trade happened like that? I can’t think of it ever happening outside of spring training. That stuff happens before or after a game, not during. And it’s not like anyone has heard a peep of a hint of a Crawford trade lately.
My guess, based on the fact that I spent a night in a Holiday Inn Express last March: illness or some kind of a leg problem.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)