Jun 24, 2010, 1:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: Of course, two minutes after I hit “post” on this bad boy word comes down: Crawford has a sore shoulder. Not sure why it’s sore. I won’t even speculate, because the minute I do someone will say it was for some other reason. Upshot: Crawford is out of the Rays-Padres game. Adjust your wagers appropriately.
1:21 P.M.: The Padres and Rays are playing a daytime tilt and Carl Crawford just left the game for no apparent reason. Crawford had grounded out to second base in his first at-bat, but then was replaced by Ben Zobrist.
It has to be some kind of an injury. Guys often leave games with bad calfs or groins or whatever after getting back to the dugout and stiffening up. Though a lot of folks on Twitter — fan types, not media types — are speculating that he’s been traded.
Honestly, though: when was the last time an in-game trade happened like that? I can’t think of it ever happening outside of spring training. That stuff happens before or after a game, not during. And it’s not like anyone has heard a peep of a hint of a Crawford trade lately.
My guess, based on the fact that I spent a night in a Holiday Inn Express last March: illness or some kind of a leg problem.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 47
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 82
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)