My managerial ejection conspiracy theory

Jun 24, 2010, 2:22 PM EST

A mid-day's daydream about why Charlie Manuel just got ejected from the Phillies-Indians game,

Charlie Manuel was ejected early in today’s Phillies-Indians game. Game time temperature in Philly was 94 degrees and it’s probably getting hotter. The manager’s office is air conditioned, there’s HD TV, and if Cholly is as awesome as I like to imagine he is, there’s probably a six pack of Ballantine or Hamm’s or some other brand of defunct beer that only he can get because he knows a guy who knows a guy.

What’ I’m saying is, I think the fix is in and Charlie wanted a breather from the hot day.  I have no evidence for this. I’m just speculatin’ on a hypothesis. Worth noting though, that the Phillies were already up 4-0 at the time against a weak team. In short, it’s not a day that requires Manuel’s managerial expertise.

I’ve always thought that Bobby Cox does this, by the way. Indeed, there was a stretch there — especially between 2006 and 2009 when the Braves weren’t playing so hot — where if it was a day game above 85 degrees, you could almost guarantee that Cox was going to get run for arguing balls and strikes. And he wouldn’t put up much of a fight, either. He’d go straight to the magic words, sometimes barely leaving the dugout before he was ejected. I think he was jonesin’ for the AC as well.

And I’m not being critical here. I love it!  Probably because I’m a giant wuss when it comes to heat and I’m totally projecting on two of my favorite managers in the game. I wish I could do what they do, and I’d like to pretend that they’d do what I’d do, even if doing so is pretty selfish and irresponsible. It’s probably also worth mentioning that when I woke up this morning my air conditioner wasn’t working and, as I type this, a repairman is working on it while the temperature in my house climbs above 80.

So, yeah, double the envy of the beer sipppin, feet-on-the-desk Charlie Manuel, who (in my mind at least) is thinking that today’s adversary Manny Acta is an A-1 sucker for not gettin’ wise to his plan, see?

1. Jonny5 - Jun 24, 2010 at 2:34 PM

LMAO!!!! Dude, I love the theory. And I see it as a very valid one. Cholly has been tossed like 10 times this season already. Either he is full of twice as much piss and vinegar this season, or he learned something from Cox. 53 ribbies for Howard btw, he just drove in another. Whoops Werth just did too. Nice…… pitching change coming.

2. Jonny5 - Jun 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Another backup catcher for the Phills hits a homer…….. Last night it was Snyder, today it’s Sardinha

3. Utley's hair - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Two Hawaiians get hits in the same inning. That’s gotta be a first.

4. Grand Slam Single - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM

It’s a shame you don’t get The Charlie Manuel Show, Craig.

5. tbliggins - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:11 PM

You can still get Hamm’s out here in Portland. There are magical things outside of that awful state, Craig.

6. Utley's hair - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Get ready for a rain delay.

7. Grant - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You can still get Ballantine’s in New York. I buy 22-ouncers of it all the time.

8. Jonny5 - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

A hurricane delay more like? Damn!

9. Utley's hair - Jun 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Sounded like a blizzard of rain. I was praying JRoll wouldn’t go out to help the grounds crew.

10. wrg885 - Jun 24, 2010 at 4:00 PM

You can buy a case of it here in the Middle of Nowhere PA for like 30 bucks. A beer that puts the ‘Adult’ in Adult Beverage.

11. Jonny5 - Jun 24, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Manuel looks like an Ortlieb’s kinda guy or some “Old Mildews Beast”.

12. Utley's hair - Jun 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I say he has a still in his office.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4468)
  2. M. Kemp (3603)
  3. M. Cabrera (2860)
  4. M. Morse (2536)
  5. J. Kang (2407)
  1. J. Upton (2383)
  2. C. Headley (2142)
  3. A. Rios (2130)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1876)
  5. J. Peavy (1802)