Jun 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Pirates catching prospect Tony Sanchez was hit in the face by a pitch Tuesday while playing at Single-A and has been diagnosed with a fractured jaw, so the fourth overall pick in last year’s draft will need surgery that could end his season.
Sanchez was scheduled to represent the Pirates in the Futures Game during the All-Star break, but instead he’ll have his jaw wired shut and general manager Neal Huntington said he’ll be out for “a while.” Huntington added that it’ll be “a challenge” for Sanchez to maintain his conditioning and strength on a liquid-only diet.
In other words, that makes it less likely Sanchez will return before the end of the minor-league season even if the jaw heals properly and quickly. Ultimately he was unlikely to reach the majors until mid-2011 or later anyway, but stalled development combined with eating through a straw are never good things for a 22-year-old prospect.
Defense was considered Sanchez’s strength coming out of Boston College and he was labeled a “safe” pick three spots after Stephen Strasburg and four spots before Mike Leake, but he’s hit .312 with a .413 on-base percentage and .494 slugging percentage through 107 games in the minors, showing decent power and solid plate discipline.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)