Jun 24, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
The next act in the Rangers’ bankruptcy drama was set for July 9th, but Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal just reported that the hearing set for that date has been postponed until July 22nd. The most important date for baseball purposes, however, is July 31st, which is the trade deadline. Does this delay put the Rangers’ emergence from bankruptcy and closing the sale by then — and thus any deadline trades — in peril?
Not necessarily. That’s because Kaplan’s tweet also reveals that the mediation between the parties is now scheduled for July 16th. Indeed, I’d guess that it was the scheduling of that mediation — as opposed to any trouble among the parties — that lead to the hearing postponement. A hearing without a mediation first makes no sense, after all. At the same time, a hearing after a productive mediation could prove to be something close to a formality.
Upshot: the 16th is the key date. If the parties can come to an agreement that they all think the judge will sign off on, Major League Baseball may very well give the Rangers the authority to make the kinds of moves they feel they need to make before the deadline, knowing that new ownership will come on board shortly to, you know, pay for them. If it’s an ugly mediation and things turn sour, things will be different, but that was the case whether it took place on the 5th, the 9th, the 16th or the 12th of never.
My guess: this is no big deal.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)