Jun 24, 2010, 3:10 PM EDT
The next act in the Rangers’ bankruptcy drama was set for July 9th, but Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal just reported that the hearing set for that date has been postponed until July 22nd. The most important date for baseball purposes, however, is July 31st, which is the trade deadline. Does this delay put the Rangers’ emergence from bankruptcy and closing the sale by then — and thus any deadline trades — in peril?
Not necessarily. That’s because Kaplan’s tweet also reveals that the mediation between the parties is now scheduled for July 16th. Indeed, I’d guess that it was the scheduling of that mediation — as opposed to any trouble among the parties — that lead to the hearing postponement. A hearing without a mediation first makes no sense, after all. At the same time, a hearing after a productive mediation could prove to be something close to a formality.
Upshot: the 16th is the key date. If the parties can come to an agreement that they all think the judge will sign off on, Major League Baseball may very well give the Rangers the authority to make the kinds of moves they feel they need to make before the deadline, knowing that new ownership will come on board shortly to, you know, pay for them. If it’s an ugly mediation and things turn sour, things will be different, but that was the case whether it took place on the 5th, the 9th, the 16th or the 12th of never.
My guess: this is no big deal.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)