Jun 24, 2010, 3:48 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago Rangers general manager Jon Daniels was poking a little fun at Elvis Andrus’ bleached-blond hair, so the 21-year-old shortstop asked how many games in a row the team would have to win for the GM to dye his hair.
Daniels told him 10, because he “figured the odds of that were pretty long.” And he was right, because the Rangers hadn’t won double-digit games in a row since way back in 1991.
So, naturally the Rangers haven’t lost since and last night extended their winning streak to … 10 games.
“Talk about putting one’s foot in their mouth,” Daniels said. “I’m going to honor my word. I was hoping he’d forget, but no such luck. It’s not going to be a good look.”
Daniels hasn’t decided on a color yet, but blond seems like the obvious choice. Actually, at first I was going to make some joke suggesting Christina Hendricks/Joan Holloway red, but then I creeped myself out and thought better of it. Sort of.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)