Jun 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka is returning from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Rockies and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will make room for him on roster by placing Mike Lowell on the DL.
Perhaps his surgically repaired hip has been problematic of late or perhaps Lowell has just fallen so far out of the Red Sox’s plans that putting him on the shelf for a couple weeks was the obvious call anyway. He hasn’t started a game since June 13 and went nine days without playing at all before pinch-hitting Tuesday.
There’s been some speculation about Texas and Minnesota showing interest in Lowell as a part-time player if Boston is willing to eat most of his remaining salary and take a low-level prospect in return, but the fact that the Red Sox’s roster shuffling involves placing him on the DL rather than simply trading him suggests the level of interest in somewhere between marginal and non-existent.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)