Jun 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka is returning from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Rockies and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will make room for him on roster by placing Mike Lowell on the DL.
Perhaps his surgically repaired hip has been problematic of late or perhaps Lowell has just fallen so far out of the Red Sox’s plans that putting him on the shelf for a couple weeks was the obvious call anyway. He hasn’t started a game since June 13 and went nine days without playing at all before pinch-hitting Tuesday.
There’s been some speculation about Texas and Minnesota showing interest in Lowell as a part-time player if Boston is willing to eat most of his remaining salary and take a low-level prospect in return, but the fact that the Red Sox’s roster shuffling involves placing him on the DL rather than simply trading him suggests the level of interest in somewhere between marginal and non-existent.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)