Jun 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka is returning from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Rockies and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will make room for him on roster by placing Mike Lowell on the DL.
Perhaps his surgically repaired hip has been problematic of late or perhaps Lowell has just fallen so far out of the Red Sox’s plans that putting him on the shelf for a couple weeks was the obvious call anyway. He hasn’t started a game since June 13 and went nine days without playing at all before pinch-hitting Tuesday.
There’s been some speculation about Texas and Minnesota showing interest in Lowell as a part-time player if Boston is willing to eat most of his remaining salary and take a low-level prospect in return, but the fact that the Red Sox’s roster shuffling involves placing him on the DL rather than simply trading him suggests the level of interest in somewhere between marginal and non-existent.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)