Jun 24, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Daisuke Matsuzaka is returning from the disabled list for tonight’s start against the Rockies and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox will make room for him on roster by placing Mike Lowell on the DL.
Perhaps his surgically repaired hip has been problematic of late or perhaps Lowell has just fallen so far out of the Red Sox’s plans that putting him on the shelf for a couple weeks was the obvious call anyway. He hasn’t started a game since June 13 and went nine days without playing at all before pinch-hitting Tuesday.
There’s been some speculation about Texas and Minnesota showing interest in Lowell as a part-time player if Boston is willing to eat most of his remaining salary and take a low-level prospect in return, but the fact that the Red Sox’s roster shuffling involves placing him on the DL rather than simply trading him suggests the level of interest in somewhere between marginal and non-existent.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 219
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)