Jun 24, 2010, 8:20 AM EST
If I would have told you yesterday afternoon that the Red Sox would score six runs on ten hits off Ubaldo Jimenez and would still lose the game you probably would have had me committed. That’s what happened, though, because Jonathan Papelbon imploded in stunning fashion.
The Sox were leading 6-5 in the ninth when Ian Stewart led off by smacking the second pitch he saw over the right field wall to tie the game. After a Clint Barmes single and a Ryan Spilborghs sacrifice, Jason Giambi launched one of his own — this one on a splitter that just kind of spun up there — to
give Colorado the walk-off win.
That’s never a good outcome, but it stings all the more given that the Sox had done the seemingly impossible and lit up the previously un-light-uppable Ubabldo. And it wasn’t just the big dogs doing it. The offensive hero of the night for the Red Sox was Daniel Nava, who hit two RBI doubles, the first of which got Boston on the board when they were down 4-0 and the second of which started a four-run sixth inning rally.
But that’s all a footnote to the Papelplosion. It’s only his second blown save this season, but he’s now allowed six homers this year and I imagine that these last two will lead to calls for Daniel Bard to get a shot in the ninth inning.
- Report: Athletics close to a trade involving Jeff Samardzija 0
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)