Jun 24, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
If I would have told you yesterday afternoon that the Red Sox would score six runs on ten hits off Ubaldo Jimenez and would still lose the game you probably would have had me committed. That’s what happened, though, because Jonathan Papelbon imploded in stunning fashion.
The Sox were leading 6-5 in the ninth when Ian Stewart led off by smacking the second pitch he saw over the right field wall to tie the game. After a Clint Barmes single and a Ryan Spilborghs sacrifice, Jason Giambi launched one of his own — this one on a splitter that just kind of spun up there — to
give Colorado the walk-off win.
That’s never a good outcome, but it stings all the more given that the Sox had done the seemingly impossible and lit up the previously un-light-uppable Ubabldo. And it wasn’t just the big dogs doing it. The offensive hero of the night for the Red Sox was Daniel Nava, who hit two RBI doubles, the first of which got Boston on the board when they were down 4-0 and the second of which started a four-run sixth inning rally.
But that’s all a footnote to the Papelplosion. It’s only his second blown save this season, but he’s now allowed six homers this year and I imagine that these last two will lead to calls for Daniel Bard to get a shot in the ninth inning.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)