Jun 24, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
If I would have told you yesterday afternoon that the Red Sox would score six runs on ten hits off Ubaldo Jimenez and would still lose the game you probably would have had me committed. That’s what happened, though, because Jonathan Papelbon imploded in stunning fashion.
The Sox were leading 6-5 in the ninth when Ian Stewart led off by smacking the second pitch he saw over the right field wall to tie the game. After a Clint Barmes single and a Ryan Spilborghs sacrifice, Jason Giambi launched one of his own — this one on a splitter that just kind of spun up there — to
give Colorado the walk-off win.
That’s never a good outcome, but it stings all the more given that the Sox had done the seemingly impossible and lit up the previously un-light-uppable Ubabldo. And it wasn’t just the big dogs doing it. The offensive hero of the night for the Red Sox was Daniel Nava, who hit two RBI doubles, the first of which got Boston on the board when they were down 4-0 and the second of which started a four-run sixth inning rally.
But that’s all a footnote to the Papelplosion. It’s only his second blown save this season, but he’s now allowed six homers this year and I imagine that these last two will lead to calls for Daniel Bard to get a shot in the ninth inning.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)