Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
Stephen Strasburg got his first major league loss yesterday, but once again, review of the video tape reveals a blown call last night. This one was a little closer than the Brian Fuentes non-balk I suppose, but it still was wrong.
Scenario: Royals up 1-0 in the sixth, runners on first and second, one out. Big Donkey at the plate for the Nats, Roger Bernadina at second. Dunn hits a single to right field, Jose Guillen scoops it up and fires home to try and nail Bernadina. Now watch the video to see . . . the rest of the story.
Bernadina was safe, wasn’t he? Seems like the tag clearly came in after he had slid across the plate. I mean, I know the Improbability Field that surrounds Jose Guillen-on-defense would render any accurate calls difficult at best, but I think they blew that one.
If Bernadina scores it’s at least 1-1, and maybe the Nats score again that inning once they’ve been allotted the proper number of outs. At worst that gives Strasburg a no-decision, but it may even give him a win.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)