Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg got his first major league loss yesterday, but once again, review of the video tape reveals a blown call last night. This one was a little closer than the Brian Fuentes non-balk I suppose, but it still was wrong.
Scenario: Royals up 1-0 in the sixth, runners on first and second, one out. Big Donkey at the plate for the Nats, Roger Bernadina at second. Dunn hits a single to right field, Jose Guillen scoops it up and fires home to try and nail Bernadina. Now watch the video to see . . . the rest of the story.
Bernadina was safe, wasn’t he? Seems like the tag clearly came in after he had slid across the plate. I mean, I know the Improbability Field that surrounds Jose Guillen-on-defense would render any accurate calls difficult at best, but I think they blew that one.
If Bernadina scores it’s at least 1-1, and maybe the Nats score again that inning once they’ve been allotted the proper number of outs. At worst that gives Strasburg a no-decision, but it may even give him a win.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)