Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
Stephen Strasburg got his first major league loss yesterday, but once again, review of the video tape reveals a blown call last night. This one was a little closer than the Brian Fuentes non-balk I suppose, but it still was wrong.
Scenario: Royals up 1-0 in the sixth, runners on first and second, one out. Big Donkey at the plate for the Nats, Roger Bernadina at second. Dunn hits a single to right field, Jose Guillen scoops it up and fires home to try and nail Bernadina. Now watch the video to see . . . the rest of the story.
Bernadina was safe, wasn’t he? Seems like the tag clearly came in after he had slid across the plate. I mean, I know the Improbability Field that surrounds Jose Guillen-on-defense would render any accurate calls difficult at best, but I think they blew that one.
If Bernadina scores it’s at least 1-1, and maybe the Nats score again that inning once they’ve been allotted the proper number of outs. At worst that gives Strasburg a no-decision, but it may even give him a win.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)