Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
Stephen Strasburg got his first major league loss yesterday, but once again, review of the video tape reveals a blown call last night. This one was a little closer than the Brian Fuentes non-balk I suppose, but it still was wrong.
Scenario: Royals up 1-0 in the sixth, runners on first and second, one out. Big Donkey at the plate for the Nats, Roger Bernadina at second. Dunn hits a single to right field, Jose Guillen scoops it up and fires home to try and nail Bernadina. Now watch the video to see . . . the rest of the story.
Bernadina was safe, wasn’t he? Seems like the tag clearly came in after he had slid across the plate. I mean, I know the Improbability Field that surrounds Jose Guillen-on-defense would render any accurate calls difficult at best, but I think they blew that one.
If Bernadina scores it’s at least 1-1, and maybe the Nats score again that inning once they’ve been allotted the proper number of outs. At worst that gives Strasburg a no-decision, but it may even give him a win.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)