Strasburg should have at least gotten a no-decision

Jun 24, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT

If this was basketball, all the calls would go in Strasburg's favor because he's a young stud and everything. This, however, is not basketball.

Stephen Strasburg got his first major league loss yesterday, but once again, review of the video tape reveals a blown call last night.  This one was a little closer than the Brian Fuentes non-balk I suppose, but it still was wrong.

Scenario: Royals up 1-0 in the sixth, runners on first and second, one out.  Big Donkey at the plate for the Nats, Roger Bernadina at second. Dunn hits a single to right field, Jose Guillen scoops it up and fires home to try and nail Bernadina.  Now watch the video to see . . . the rest of the story.

Bernadina was safe, wasn’t he? Seems like the tag clearly came in after he had slid across the plate. I mean, I know the Improbability Field that surrounds Jose Guillen-on-defense would render any accurate calls difficult at best, but I think they blew that one.

If Bernadina scores it’s at least 1-1, and maybe the Nats score again that inning once they’ve been allotted the proper number of outs.  At worst that gives Strasburg a no-decision, but it may even give him a win.

1. JimmyY - Jun 24, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Dude was SAFE, can see that even without a replay.

2. KLB33 - Jun 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM

At least I can now say that I witnessed, in person, Strasburg’s first loss. However, he was clearly safe, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Nationals’ crowd so angry.

3. ben s - Jun 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Good article on why Strasburg is so freakin’ amazing

4. Ken - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM

On the super slo-mo MASN showed last night, he was pretty clearly out. He should have been safe by a mile, but made a terrible slide (which was only the second-worst in the game after Josh Willingham’s debacle) to the front of the plate, rather than the back. Instead, Kendall got the glove to the spot first and he was out.

5. JayT - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Yet another example of why wins are useless in evaluating a pitcher.

6. Benny Blanco - Jun 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM