Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Their feud was very fun while it lasted, but Lou Piniella and Steve Stone chatted before this afternoon’s White Sox-Cubs game at U.S. Cellular Field and cleared the air.
Here’s how Stone described the meeting:
I felt because this is our ballpark, I should go down into his locker room. I got a chance to talk with him. He facetiously said, “Do you think we should fight?” I said, “Nah, I think we’re too old to do that.” And he said, “Look, it was over when I was done with it,” and I said I felt the same way. We shook hands a number of different times. He wound up actually thanking me for coming down and putting this thing to bed, which it where it belongs.
And here’s Piniella’s version:
We closed the door and threw a few jabs … verbally. We’re fine. Everything is fine. I’ve known Steve a long time. Everybody doesn’t agree with what other people say at times. But we talked it out, shook hands and it’s all behind us and I’m happy. I don’t have any problem with Steve Stone or anybody else.
Now that they’re friends again, Stone said he thinks “when all is said and done [Piniella] is going to go down as one of the great managers in the game.” No word yet on whether Piniella values that opinion or if he dismisses it because Stone never managed.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)