Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Their feud was very fun while it lasted, but Lou Piniella and Steve Stone chatted before this afternoon’s White Sox-Cubs game at U.S. Cellular Field and cleared the air.
Here’s how Stone described the meeting:
I felt because this is our ballpark, I should go down into his locker room. I got a chance to talk with him. He facetiously said, “Do you think we should fight?” I said, “Nah, I think we’re too old to do that.” And he said, “Look, it was over when I was done with it,” and I said I felt the same way. We shook hands a number of different times. He wound up actually thanking me for coming down and putting this thing to bed, which it where it belongs.
And here’s Piniella’s version:
We closed the door and threw a few jabs … verbally. We’re fine. Everything is fine. I’ve known Steve a long time. Everybody doesn’t agree with what other people say at times. But we talked it out, shook hands and it’s all behind us and I’m happy. I don’t have any problem with Steve Stone or anybody else.
Now that they’re friends again, Stone said he thinks “when all is said and done [Piniella] is going to go down as one of the great managers in the game.” No word yet on whether Piniella values that opinion or if he dismisses it because Stone never managed.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)