Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EST
Their feud was very fun while it lasted, but Lou Piniella and Steve Stone chatted before this afternoon’s White Sox-Cubs game at U.S. Cellular Field and cleared the air.
Here’s how Stone described the meeting:
I felt because this is our ballpark, I should go down into his locker room. I got a chance to talk with him. He facetiously said, “Do you think we should fight?” I said, “Nah, I think we’re too old to do that.” And he said, “Look, it was over when I was done with it,” and I said I felt the same way. We shook hands a number of different times. He wound up actually thanking me for coming down and putting this thing to bed, which it where it belongs.
And here’s Piniella’s version:
We closed the door and threw a few jabs … verbally. We’re fine. Everything is fine. I’ve known Steve a long time. Everybody doesn’t agree with what other people say at times. But we talked it out, shook hands and it’s all behind us and I’m happy. I don’t have any problem with Steve Stone or anybody else.
Now that they’re friends again, Stone said he thinks “when all is said and done [Piniella] is going to go down as one of the great managers in the game.” No word yet on whether Piniella values that opinion or if he dismisses it because Stone never managed.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 51
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 36
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)