Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
Their feud was very fun while it lasted, but Lou Piniella and Steve Stone chatted before this afternoon’s White Sox-Cubs game at U.S. Cellular Field and cleared the air.
Here’s how Stone described the meeting:
I felt because this is our ballpark, I should go down into his locker room. I got a chance to talk with him. He facetiously said, “Do you think we should fight?” I said, “Nah, I think we’re too old to do that.” And he said, “Look, it was over when I was done with it,” and I said I felt the same way. We shook hands a number of different times. He wound up actually thanking me for coming down and putting this thing to bed, which it where it belongs.
And here’s Piniella’s version:
We closed the door and threw a few jabs … verbally. We’re fine. Everything is fine. I’ve known Steve a long time. Everybody doesn’t agree with what other people say at times. But we talked it out, shook hands and it’s all behind us and I’m happy. I don’t have any problem with Steve Stone or anybody else.
Now that they’re friends again, Stone said he thinks “when all is said and done [Piniella] is going to go down as one of the great managers in the game.” No word yet on whether Piniella values that opinion or if he dismisses it because Stone never managed.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (101)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (95)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- Yankees School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4