Jun 25, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
When Fredi Gonzalez was fired the other day Bobby Cox — Gonzalez’s former boss — was quoted waxing admiringly about Gonzalez. He said some stuff about Jeff Loria too, however. Fun stuff that I didn’t see until this morning:
“I know that guy is unpredictable, but I was still . . . After
everything [Gonzalez] has done for that guy, are you s——- me? [The
Marlins] have gone down to the end every year, playing their asses off.
That guy doesn’t appreciate anything. He’s one of those guys that thinks
you change [for the sake of change]. He’s always wanting to fire the
coaches, always. That’s his history.”
I’d love to know what “[for the sake of change]” was covering for. I’m guessing it was a “for the ______ of it” kind of thing.
In other news, Dave Rudin of the Stamford Advocate (Stamford is Bobby’s home town, by the way) has been texting with Bobby Valentine over the past 24 hours. The upshot: Valentine isn’t sayin’ nothin.
Probably a good move. As Joe Capozzi — the guy who quoted Valentine as denying the “Valentine starts Monday” report this morning — just said, the Heyman report to that effect is probably true, but Valentine has to deny it so that the Marlins can go through the motions of interviewing Edwin Rodriguez and Bo Porter, which the Marlins are pretty clearly using as token candidates.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)