Jun 25, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
When Fredi Gonzalez was fired the other day Bobby Cox — Gonzalez’s former boss — was quoted waxing admiringly about Gonzalez. He said some stuff about Jeff Loria too, however. Fun stuff that I didn’t see until this morning:
“I know that guy is unpredictable, but I was still . . . After
everything [Gonzalez] has done for that guy, are you s——- me? [The
Marlins] have gone down to the end every year, playing their asses off.
That guy doesn’t appreciate anything. He’s one of those guys that thinks
you change [for the sake of change]. He’s always wanting to fire the
coaches, always. That’s his history.”
I’d love to know what “[for the sake of change]” was covering for. I’m guessing it was a “for the ______ of it” kind of thing.
In other news, Dave Rudin of the Stamford Advocate (Stamford is Bobby’s home town, by the way) has been texting with Bobby Valentine over the past 24 hours. The upshot: Valentine isn’t sayin’ nothin.
Probably a good move. As Joe Capozzi — the guy who quoted Valentine as denying the “Valentine starts Monday” report this morning — just said, the Heyman report to that effect is probably true, but Valentine has to deny it so that the Marlins can go through the motions of interviewing Edwin Rodriguez and Bo Porter, which the Marlins are pretty clearly using as token candidates.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)