Jun 25, 2010, 7:37 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs have suspended Carlos Zambrano indefinitely for his actions during Friday’s game.
“His conduct was not acceptable,” Cubs general
manager Jim Hendry said. “It has become a bit of a tired act.”
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Hendry said, “We’ll play with
24 before we tolerate that behavior.”
Zambrano was sent home by Cubs manager Lou Piniella, who called the whole incident “embarrassing” during a post-game press conference. Speaking of embarrassing, Big Z reportedly jawed at some cameramen on the way out of the stadium, according to Sullivan. Film at 11!
Oh, and just a reminder, Zambrano is in the third year of a five-year, $91.5 million contract. Fun.
5:05 PM: Today’s starter Carlos Zambrano went nuts during the first inning of today’s Cubs-White
Sox game, after which he was removed from the game by Lou Piniella and asked to
leave the ballpark.
The details: The first batter he faced was
Juan Pierre, who doubled down the first base line. Zambrano then gave up
another double, a single and a three-run home run to Carlos Quentin,
and ended the inning behind 4-0. Once he got back to the dugout he got
up in Derrek Lee’s face, obviously jawing at him over his failure to
field Pierre’s hit before it made it down the line.
And he might have had a point. I’m not watching the game, but those
who are say that the ball was probably playable for Lee. But if
Zambrano had any moral high ground on that point he lost it the second
he decided to yell at rather than talk to Lee, and then when he decided
to smash the Gatorade cooler and throw water on the field. That was
enough for Piniella, obviously, who replaced Zambrano with Tom
Gorzelanny. I’m sure we’ll be hearing more about this one after the game.
Just another day at the ballpark for Big Z. Just another summer of
dealing with a freakin’ head case for the Chicago Cubs.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)