Jun 25, 2010, 9:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jackson did it! He walked eight and needed 149 pitches to get there, but he has successfully completed the fourth no-hitter of the 2010 season.
Also, Jackson is the first pitcher to throw 140 pitches in a game since Livan Hernandez threw 150 (!) on May 3, 2005. Somebody get this guy some ice.
9:41 PM: Jackson has made it through eight innings without allowing a hit. Carlos Pena reached base on a fielding error by Stephen Drew with one out and was replaced by Carl Crawford as a pinch-runner. Crawford was caught stealing for the third out of the inning.
By the way, Jackson is now at 134 pitches. This is awkward.
9:19 PM: Just another day in the “Year of the Pitcher.” Okay, not really.
Sure, Edwin Jackson has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Rays on Friday night. That’s certainly an accomplishment, especially against his former team. But in doing so, he has walked seven batters. Seven. Oh, and he also hit a batter.
He has thrown just 62 of 118 pitches for strikes. I know we’re supposed to be impressed by a no-hitter and all, but seriously, this just isn’t very good.
Stick around to see if A.J. Hinch gives him a chance to make, um, history.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)