Jun 25, 2010, 9:59 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jackson did it! He walked eight and needed 149 pitches to get there, but he has successfully completed the fourth no-hitter of the 2010 season.
Also, Jackson is the first pitcher to throw 140 pitches in a game since Livan Hernandez threw 150 (!) on May 3, 2005. Somebody get this guy some ice.
9:41 PM: Jackson has made it through eight innings without allowing a hit. Carlos Pena reached base on a fielding error by Stephen Drew with one out and was replaced by Carl Crawford as a pinch-runner. Crawford was caught stealing for the third out of the inning.
By the way, Jackson is now at 134 pitches. This is awkward.
9:19 PM: Just another day in the “Year of the Pitcher.” Okay, not really.
Sure, Edwin Jackson has a no-hitter through seven innings against the Rays on Friday night. That’s certainly an accomplishment, especially against his former team. But in doing so, he has walked seven batters. Seven. Oh, and he also hit a batter.
He has thrown just 62 of 118 pitches for strikes. I know we’re supposed to be impressed by a no-hitter and all, but seriously, this just isn’t very good.
Stick around to see if A.J. Hinch gives him a chance to make, um, history.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)