Jun 25, 2010, 11:43 AM EDT
Erick Aybar has avoided the disabled list after suffering an ugly looking knee injury on Casey McGehee’s takeout slide last week and manager Mike Scioscia said yesterday that the shortstop is on the verge of returning.
According to Scioscia “he did great” and “got a glowing report” while taking batting practice, running, and fielding ground balls prior to Thursday’s game, making it likely that “he’ll be available this weekend” in at least a part-time role.
“I’m ready to get back out there,” Aybar told Lyle Spencer of MLB.com. “I feel normal. If it was up to me, I’d play today.”
Aybar was just starting to heat up before the injury, batting .340 with six steals in his previous 25 games. Maicer Izturis coming down with an injury of his own shortly after Aybar was knocked out of the lineup has left Brandon Wood filling in at shortstop, but he hasn’t played particularly well (shocking, I know) and will now have to fight the hot-hitting Kevin Frandsen for starts at third base.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)