Jun 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
When the Rangers pulled out of a nearly completed trade with the Red Sox for Mike Lowell this winter the assumption was that they did so because he needed thumb surgery.
However, now Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that worries about Lowell’s surgically repaired hip actually nixed the deal, as the Rangers and other teams considered the thumb injury a much lesser concern.
After barely playing for the past three months Lowell was placed on the disabled list yesterday with what the Red Sox called a strained hip. Speier notes that “in some major league corners, Lowell’s trip to the disabled list will be viewed as validation of those concerns.”
Lowell was even slower than usual while running out a ground ball in a rare pinch-hitting appearance Tuesday and admitted afterward that his hip was “barking.” Here’s some more from Lowell:
I don’t think [going on the DL] helps my cause, but I don’t think there’s a team out there that says, “We’re getting this guy the way he was in 2004.” That was part of the reason why I wanted to tell [manager Terry Francona about the hip injury] because I don’t really know what talks are going on but if they are, I don’t want to look like the guy that’s being dishonest. If it affects it, it affects it. I’d still rather go this route. I think it’s the right one.
Between the nixed trade and subsequent lack of playing time Lowell has handled things about as well as possible, and not wanting to deceive a potential new team fits with that approach. Texas and Minnesota were recently said to be interested in Lowell, but obviously Boston is going to have a tough time convincing any team to give up a decent prospect or take on a significant portion of his remaining salary at this point.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (186)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)