Jun 25, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
When the Rangers pulled out of a nearly completed trade with the Red Sox for Mike Lowell this winter the assumption was that they did so because he needed thumb surgery.
However, now Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that worries about Lowell’s surgically repaired hip actually nixed the deal, as the Rangers and other teams considered the thumb injury a much lesser concern.
After barely playing for the past three months Lowell was placed on the disabled list yesterday with what the Red Sox called a strained hip. Speier notes that “in some major league corners, Lowell’s trip to the disabled list will be viewed as validation of those concerns.”
Lowell was even slower than usual while running out a ground ball in a rare pinch-hitting appearance Tuesday and admitted afterward that his hip was “barking.” Here’s some more from Lowell:
I don’t think [going on the DL] helps my cause, but I don’t think there’s a team out there that says, “We’re getting this guy the way he was in 2004.” That was part of the reason why I wanted to tell [manager Terry Francona about the hip injury] because I don’t really know what talks are going on but if they are, I don’t want to look like the guy that’s being dishonest. If it affects it, it affects it. I’d still rather go this route. I think it’s the right one.
Between the nixed trade and subsequent lack of playing time Lowell has handled things about as well as possible, and not wanting to deceive a potential new team fits with that approach. Texas and Minnesota were recently said to be interested in Lowell, but obviously Boston is going to have a tough time convincing any team to give up a decent prospect or take on a significant portion of his remaining salary at this point.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (96)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)