Jun 25, 2010, 8:41 PM EDT
Hey, would you look at that, some actual baseball news involving Johan Santana. How refreshing. Here’s David Lennon of Newsday:
At the end of an,
um, revealing week for Santana, confesses today that still “recovering”
from elbow surgery. Explains a lot.
It isn’t like Santana to make excuses, but it’s pretty easy to see that something isn’t quite right with him. The 31-year-old left-hander has a 3.31 ERA over his first 15 starts, which is good enough, but he is averaging a career-low 89.3 mph on his fastball. In turn, his walks are up — 2.85 BB/9 from a 2.51 BB/9 career average — and his strikeouts are way, way down — 5.69 K/9 from an 8.94 K/9 career average.
It’s convenient to shovel some dirt on Santana as an elite pitcher right now, but today’s admission actually gives me some hope for the second half. I mean, he can’t get any “worse,” can he?
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)