Jun 25, 2010, 8:41 PM EST
Hey, would you look at that, some actual baseball news involving Johan Santana. How refreshing. Here’s David Lennon of Newsday:
At the end of an,
um, revealing week for Santana, confesses today that still “recovering”
from elbow surgery. Explains a lot.
It isn’t like Santana to make excuses, but it’s pretty easy to see that something isn’t quite right with him. The 31-year-old left-hander has a 3.31 ERA over his first 15 starts, which is good enough, but he is averaging a career-low 89.3 mph on his fastball. In turn, his walks are up — 2.85 BB/9 from a 2.51 BB/9 career average — and his strikeouts are way, way down — 5.69 K/9 from an 8.94 K/9 career average.
It’s convenient to shovel some dirt on Santana as an elite pitcher right now, but today’s admission actually gives me some hope for the second half. I mean, he can’t get any “worse,” can he?
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)