Jun 25, 2010, 8:41 PM EST
Hey, would you look at that, some actual baseball news involving Johan Santana. How refreshing. Here’s David Lennon of Newsday:
At the end of an,
um, revealing week for Santana, confesses today that still “recovering”
from elbow surgery. Explains a lot.
It isn’t like Santana to make excuses, but it’s pretty easy to see that something isn’t quite right with him. The 31-year-old left-hander has a 3.31 ERA over his first 15 starts, which is good enough, but he is averaging a career-low 89.3 mph on his fastball. In turn, his walks are up — 2.85 BB/9 from a 2.51 BB/9 career average — and his strikeouts are way, way down — 5.69 K/9 from an 8.94 K/9 career average.
It’s convenient to shovel some dirt on Santana as an elite pitcher right now, but today’s admission actually gives me some hope for the second half. I mean, he can’t get any “worse,” can he?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)