Jun 25, 2010, 8:41 PM EST
Hey, would you look at that, some actual baseball news involving Johan Santana. How refreshing. Here’s David Lennon of Newsday:
At the end of an,
um, revealing week for Santana, confesses today that still “recovering”
from elbow surgery. Explains a lot.
It isn’t like Santana to make excuses, but it’s pretty easy to see that something isn’t quite right with him. The 31-year-old left-hander has a 3.31 ERA over his first 15 starts, which is good enough, but he is averaging a career-low 89.3 mph on his fastball. In turn, his walks are up — 2.85 BB/9 from a 2.51 BB/9 career average — and his strikeouts are way, way down — 5.69 K/9 from an 8.94 K/9 career average.
It’s convenient to shovel some dirt on Santana as an elite pitcher right now, but today’s admission actually gives me some hope for the second half. I mean, he can’t get any “worse,” can he?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)