Jun 25, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
I’m certainly no Red Sox fan, but I’m wearing my “Laser Show” t-shirt this morning in honor of Dustin Pedroia’s ridiculous game last night. Five for five, three homers, a double and five RBIs, with the last dinger rescuing Jonathan Papelbon from himself and giving the Sox the win.
Almost as good as the bombs? The post-game quote. Obviously not feeling quite himself, Pedroia started in with some typical ballplayer humble-ese, talking about how he just tried to lift the ball, how he hoped it went out and how he’d never had a game quite like that before, even in Little League. Then he remembered who he was and, when asked a followup about how unprecedented his performance was, he said:
“Oh, yeah, I hit a lot of bombs. Don’t kid yourself.”
I’m glad I don’t root for the Yankees, because I’d hate to have to hate Dustin Pedroia. The guy is just too fun.
In other news, the Red Sox are scoring runs in buckets this year. I eagerly await the “I was wrong” columns from all of those Boston scribes who wrote ridiculous things about how “run prevention” was going to kill this team and where, oh where is the offense going to come from. Don’t all rush to get it out first, everyone. Plenty of time.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Yasiel Puig does all of the Yasiel Puig things in the same inning 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)