Jun 25, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
I’m certainly no Red Sox fan, but I’m wearing my “Laser Show” t-shirt this morning in honor of Dustin Pedroia’s ridiculous game last night. Five for five, three homers, a double and five RBIs, with the last dinger rescuing Jonathan Papelbon from himself and giving the Sox the win.
Almost as good as the bombs? The post-game quote. Obviously not feeling quite himself, Pedroia started in with some typical ballplayer humble-ese, talking about how he just tried to lift the ball, how he hoped it went out and how he’d never had a game quite like that before, even in Little League. Then he remembered who he was and, when asked a followup about how unprecedented his performance was, he said:
“Oh, yeah, I hit a lot of bombs. Don’t kid yourself.”
I’m glad I don’t root for the Yankees, because I’d hate to have to hate Dustin Pedroia. The guy is just too fun.
In other news, the Red Sox are scoring runs in buckets this year. I eagerly await the “I was wrong” columns from all of those Boston scribes who wrote ridiculous things about how “run prevention” was going to kill this team and where, oh where is the offense going to come from. Don’t all rush to get it out first, everyone. Plenty of time.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 82
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)