Jun 25, 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
I’m certainly no Red Sox fan, but I’m wearing my “Laser Show” t-shirt this morning in honor of Dustin Pedroia’s ridiculous game last night. Five for five, three homers, a double and five RBIs, with the last dinger rescuing Jonathan Papelbon from himself and giving the Sox the win.
Almost as good as the bombs? The post-game quote. Obviously not feeling quite himself, Pedroia started in with some typical ballplayer humble-ese, talking about how he just tried to lift the ball, how he hoped it went out and how he’d never had a game quite like that before, even in Little League. Then he remembered who he was and, when asked a followup about how unprecedented his performance was, he said:
“Oh, yeah, I hit a lot of bombs. Don’t kid yourself.”
I’m glad I don’t root for the Yankees, because I’d hate to have to hate Dustin Pedroia. The guy is just too fun.
In other news, the Red Sox are scoring runs in buckets this year. I eagerly await the “I was wrong” columns from all of those Boston scribes who wrote ridiculous things about how “run prevention” was going to kill this team and where, oh where is the offense going to come from. Don’t all rush to get it out first, everyone. Plenty of time.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 107
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8