Pedroia goes nuts: 5 for 5, three homers, usual humility

Jun 25, 2010, 9:25 AM EST

Too bad this Sox team is all about "run prevention." Gonna have a hell of a time scoring runs, ya know.

I’m certainly no Red Sox fan, but I’m wearing my “Laser Show” t-shirt this morning in honor of Dustin Pedroia’s ridiculous game last night. Five for five, three homers, a double and five RBIs, with the last dinger rescuing Jonathan Papelbon from himself and giving the Sox the win.

Almost as good as the bombs? The post-game quote.  Obviously not feeling quite himself, Pedroia started in with some typical ballplayer humble-ese, talking about how he just tried to lift the ball, how he hoped it went out and how he’d never had a game quite like that before, even in Little League.  Then he remembered who he was and, when asked a followup about how unprecedented his performance was, he said:

“Oh, yeah, I hit a lot of bombs. Don’t kid yourself.”

I’m glad I don’t root for the Yankees, because I’d hate to have to hate Dustin Pedroia. The guy is just too fun.

In other news, the Red Sox are scoring runs in buckets this year. I eagerly await the “I was wrong” columns from all of those Boston scribes who wrote ridiculous things about how “run prevention” was going to kill this team and where, oh where is the offense going to come from.  Don’t all rush to get it out first, everyone. Plenty of time.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jun 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Let’s not get settled into stereotypes here. I find him Morneau-Mauer like in talent and Damon-Swisher like in disposition. Let’s trade The Fat Toad for him and the Sox can solve their Papelbum issues. Whatcha think, Brian and Theo?

2. nps6724 - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Okay I’m out of the loop. what does “Laser Show” mean?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Just a term Pedroia has used a couple of times to describe him hitting the ball all over the park. I think the famous quote came when someone asked him about a slump and he said something like “yeah I’m not hitting now but pretty soon, laser show, relax.” Or words to that effect. People made t-shirts out of the phrase. I actually have one, much to my (mild) embarrassment.

4. nps6724 - Jun 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Okay, thanks. He seems like a funny guy, but I can’t tell if he has a Chad Ochocinco-like ego or if he’s feigning having a Chad Ochocinco-like ego.

5. gk1272 - Jun 25, 2010 at 11:37 AM

My cousin went to AZ State with him, she dated Ethier so knew him well. Definitely not feigning ego…

6. DG1965 - Jun 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM

I think credit is due because of his will to succeed. This is a guy who got the “he’s too short to be any good” from the very start, in Little League but he never accepted it and look where he is.
    My favorite Pedroia story is when he hit the homer in the 2007 ALCS (or maybe it was the World Series, I’m not sure). Asked about it, Mike Lowell said, “yeah, it was great. I couldn’t wait for him to get back to the dugout so he could tell us how hard he hit it.”

7. John - Jun 25, 2010 at 1:27 PM

it always seemed like he was feigning ego to me, just to be funny. the guy’s definitely a real team player, he just happens to be a hitting machine. not that he’s not extremely confident, but there’s a difference between that and having an ego. but he is _extremely_ confident…we should all be so lucky

8. The Rabbit - Jun 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Pedroia has been hitting about a million since he acquired that knee brace last month. I’m thinking about sending one to Teixiera and some of my fantasy team players.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester