Jun 25, 2010, 4:14 PM EDT
The Jays come in to Philly tonight for a three game set . . . as the home team.
You’ll recall that this little switcheroo is the result of the G-20 summit taking place in Toronto. As a result, the series that was supposed to take place in the Rogers Centre is now in Philly with the Phillies as the “visiting team” and the Jays as the “home team.”
And they’re gonna do what they can to make that fiction a reality. The Phillies will be wearing their road grays and the Jays their home whites. The DH will be used. While there’s some confusion on this point, it seems that the Blue Jays will get the majority of the gate for the series, while the Phillies still retain the concessions.
Only two things are really undercutting the suspension of disbelief as to the location of the series: the facts that (a) the Phillies players get so sleep in their own beds and have breakfast with their families; and (b) there will be 40,000 screaming Phillies fans at the games. But, sure, other than that, root-root-root for the home team . . .
And yes, I realize that the Joe Carter pic is a low blow to Phillies fans. But that was 17 years ago and you guys are getting three gratuitous home games, so I think you deal with it. Jays fans need it.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 0
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 46
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 6
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 19
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 42