Jun 25, 2010, 2:47 PM EDT
Max Scherzer came back from his brief demotion to Triple-A pitching like a new man and fortunately for the Tigers it looks like Rick Porcello is following in his footsteps.
Optioned to Triple-A over the weekend after following up his strong rookie season by going 4-7 with a 6.14 ERA in 13 starts this year, Porcello tossed eight innings of one-hit ball last night against the Reds’ affiliate.
He was facing a lineup that included quality prospects Yonder Alonso, Todd Frazier, and Juan Francisco along with former big leaguers Chris Burke, Wladimir Balentien, and Ryan Hanigan, so the outing is fairly impressive. He managed just three strikeouts, but handed out only one walk and induced 15 ground-ball outs.
Here’s what he said afterward:
I think it’s good for me to come down here and work on a couple of things and get some confidence. I had a pretty good sinker tonight and a good slider. It was a pretty effective mix of pitches. I’m just trying to work on my slider and try to shorten it up a bit and throw it consistently for strikes down in the zone. I felt comfortable with it tonight. That’s pretty much what they wanted me to come down here and work on. That and to keep my sinker down in the zone.
Scherzer’s demotion lasted all of two starts and he has a 3.48 ERA with 41 strikeouts in 31 innings since returning, so Porcello may not be long for Toledo.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (187)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)