Jun 25, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT
The fan who got tased, that is, not the cop who did the tasing:
A teenager who became an instant YouTube sensation last month for
being Tasered by a police officer when he ran onto the field at a
Phillies game was sentenced to six months’ probation today.
Steven Consalvi, 17, of Berks County, was also ordered by a Family
Court judge to complete 80 hours of community service in Philadelphia
soup kitchens. If Consalvi completes the sentence with no problems and
passes a drug test, his record will be expunged.
Pretty light sentence for a kid who, according to those who defended the tasing, could have been smuggling a dirty bomb or IEDs or something in his cargo shorts.
And not to get too far off the subject, but why is a drug test part of this kid’s probation? He wasn’t under the influence of anything other than stupid at the time of his little performance. If he smokes one joint at the wrong time several months after the incident, however, he’ll be a drug-related probation violator, he’ll have trouble getting into college and be potentially unemployable for long stretches of his adult life. All because someone in the past 25 years decided that it’d be cool to “get tough” on drugs. Having trouble seeing why we care about this.
Anyway, justice served, case closed and Citizens Bank Park is once again safe for clean wholesome living and democracy and everything. God bless America.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)