Jun 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Given how poorly the team has played, it’s been reasonable to assume that the Brewers are at least considering selling off players, possibly even Prince Fielder and Corey Hart. Not so says owner Mark Attanasio, because the fans deserve better:
“The thing you have to remember is that we’ve had three million fans
coming to this place two years in a row. They’re looking for winners. Miller Park is
really enjoyable, but they’re coming to see this team win. We have to be
conscious of that.
“We think we have a very good team. Our intent isn’t to dismantle the
team simply because we may not make the playoffs this year.”
Atttanasio goes on to say that, while he’s realistic, he doesn’t count the team out yet, noting that the Brewers have a lot of home games and basically saying — rather provocatively, in my view — that the Reds aren’t for real. He thinks that if the Brewers are within five games of a playoff spot at the All-Star break that they’re in it.
He goes on to say that he “hopes” Prince Fielder is still with the team on August first and says, when asked about Ken Macha’s status, that GM Doug Melvin is generally pleased with him. Sounds rather detached to me, but when was the last time an owner truly shot straight about that kind of stuff?
Well, an owner besides Steinbrenner anyway.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (98)