Jun 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Given how poorly the team has played, it’s been reasonable to assume that the Brewers are at least considering selling off players, possibly even Prince Fielder and Corey Hart. Not so says owner Mark Attanasio, because the fans deserve better:
“The thing you have to remember is that we’ve had three million fans
coming to this place two years in a row. They’re looking for winners. Miller Park is
really enjoyable, but they’re coming to see this team win. We have to be
conscious of that.
“We think we have a very good team. Our intent isn’t to dismantle the
team simply because we may not make the playoffs this year.”
Atttanasio goes on to say that, while he’s realistic, he doesn’t count the team out yet, noting that the Brewers have a lot of home games and basically saying — rather provocatively, in my view — that the Reds aren’t for real. He thinks that if the Brewers are within five games of a playoff spot at the All-Star break that they’re in it.
He goes on to say that he “hopes” Prince Fielder is still with the team on August first and says, when asked about Ken Macha’s status, that GM Doug Melvin is generally pleased with him. Sounds rather detached to me, but when was the last time an owner truly shot straight about that kind of stuff?
Well, an owner besides Steinbrenner anyway.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 0
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 45
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)