Jun 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Given how poorly the team has played, it’s been reasonable to assume that the Brewers are at least considering selling off players, possibly even Prince Fielder and Corey Hart. Not so says owner Mark Attanasio, because the fans deserve better:
“The thing you have to remember is that we’ve had three million fans
coming to this place two years in a row. They’re looking for winners. Miller Park is
really enjoyable, but they’re coming to see this team win. We have to be
conscious of that.
“We think we have a very good team. Our intent isn’t to dismantle the
team simply because we may not make the playoffs this year.”
Atttanasio goes on to say that, while he’s realistic, he doesn’t count the team out yet, noting that the Brewers have a lot of home games and basically saying — rather provocatively, in my view — that the Reds aren’t for real. He thinks that if the Brewers are within five games of a playoff spot at the All-Star break that they’re in it.
He goes on to say that he “hopes” Prince Fielder is still with the team on August first and says, when asked about Ken Macha’s status, that GM Doug Melvin is generally pleased with him. Sounds rather detached to me, but when was the last time an owner truly shot straight about that kind of stuff?
Well, an owner besides Steinbrenner anyway.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)