Jun 25, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
Given how poorly the team has played, it’s been reasonable to assume that the Brewers are at least considering selling off players, possibly even Prince Fielder and Corey Hart. Not so says owner Mark Attanasio, because the fans deserve better:
“The thing you have to remember is that we’ve had three million fans
coming to this place two years in a row. They’re looking for winners. Miller Park is
really enjoyable, but they’re coming to see this team win. We have to be
conscious of that.
“We think we have a very good team. Our intent isn’t to dismantle the
team simply because we may not make the playoffs this year.”
Atttanasio goes on to say that, while he’s realistic, he doesn’t count the team out yet, noting that the Brewers have a lot of home games and basically saying — rather provocatively, in my view — that the Reds aren’t for real. He thinks that if the Brewers are within five games of a playoff spot at the All-Star break that they’re in it.
He goes on to say that he “hopes” Prince Fielder is still with the team on August first and says, when asked about Ken Macha’s status, that GM Doug Melvin is generally pleased with him. Sounds rather detached to me, but when was the last time an owner truly shot straight about that kind of stuff?
Well, an owner besides Steinbrenner anyway.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)