Jun 25, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT
UPDATE: Maybe my indignation is premature: Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post quotes Valentine as saying it’s “absolutely not true” that he’d be starting the Marlins job by Monday. Was this all a misreport by Heyman, or is this an example of Bobby Valentine having way more sense about all of this than Loria? We’ll likely know more as the day goes on.
10:05 A.M.: It will surprise absolutely no one that the Marlins, as reported by Jon Heyman, have decided to hire Bobby Valentine. We knew that was happening yesterday. What is surprising, I think, is the timing of it: According to Heyman, Valentine is to start no later than Monday.
The significance of Monday? That’s when the Marlins start a three-game series with the Mets in Puerto Rico. The same Puerto Rico in which Marlins’ interim manager Edwin Rodriguez was born, raised and where he calls home. The same Puerto Rico that, according to MLB.com, is going nuts with joy over the fact that Rodriguez is their first native son to be a big league manager, even if everyone knows it’s just an interim job.
Jeff Loria, however, doesn’t seem to care. He can’t be bothered to let Rodriguez and the fans in Puerto Rico have three freakin’ days of national pride over his ascendancy to a major league managerial job. Gotta get Bobby V. in there now! Why? Who knows. Maybe Loria’s clueless and doesn’t realize how important this would be to Puerto Rico and, in all likelihood, Rodriguez. Maybe he thinks that having Valentine in uniform to manage against the Mets will somehow stick it to New York. I have no idea.
Whatever the reason, though, it’s a poor, poor move on Loria’s part. These three games aren’t going to make a huge difference in the Marlins’ season. They would, however, make a huge difference to Puerto Rico and Rodriguez if he were still at the helm.
Bobby V. has been waiting for months for a major league job, Loria. I’m sure he’d have no problem waiting a couple of days longer and take over the Marlins on Friday. Cut Puerto Rico and Rodriguez a break, would ya? Let the man manage in Hiram Bithorn Stadium.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)