Jun 25, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT
UPDATE: Maybe my indignation is premature: Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post quotes Valentine as saying it’s “absolutely not true” that he’d be starting the Marlins job by Monday. Was this all a misreport by Heyman, or is this an example of Bobby Valentine having way more sense about all of this than Loria? We’ll likely know more as the day goes on.
10:05 A.M.: It will surprise absolutely no one that the Marlins, as reported by Jon Heyman, have decided to hire Bobby Valentine. We knew that was happening yesterday. What is surprising, I think, is the timing of it: According to Heyman, Valentine is to start no later than Monday.
The significance of Monday? That’s when the Marlins start a three-game series with the Mets in Puerto Rico. The same Puerto Rico in which Marlins’ interim manager Edwin Rodriguez was born, raised and where he calls home. The same Puerto Rico that, according to MLB.com, is going nuts with joy over the fact that Rodriguez is their first native son to be a big league manager, even if everyone knows it’s just an interim job.
Jeff Loria, however, doesn’t seem to care. He can’t be bothered to let Rodriguez and the fans in Puerto Rico have three freakin’ days of national pride over his ascendancy to a major league managerial job. Gotta get Bobby V. in there now! Why? Who knows. Maybe Loria’s clueless and doesn’t realize how important this would be to Puerto Rico and, in all likelihood, Rodriguez. Maybe he thinks that having Valentine in uniform to manage against the Mets will somehow stick it to New York. I have no idea.
Whatever the reason, though, it’s a poor, poor move on Loria’s part. These three games aren’t going to make a huge difference in the Marlins’ season. They would, however, make a huge difference to Puerto Rico and Rodriguez if he were still at the helm.
Bobby V. has been waiting for months for a major league job, Loria. I’m sure he’d have no problem waiting a couple of days longer and take over the Marlins on Friday. Cut Puerto Rico and Rodriguez a break, would ya? Let the man manage in Hiram Bithorn Stadium.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)