Jun 25, 2010, 10:32 AM EDT
My gut tells me that the Mets are the most likely team to trade for Cliff Lee. They’re seemingly willing to part with Jenrry Mejia, who would be a good pickup for the M’s. They said yesterday that they wouldn’t demand an opportunity to negotiate with Lee on an extension before making a deal, which certainly makes life easier as well. They’re in a tight damn playoff race. Getting him would probably aggravate Phillies fans to no end. There’s just a ton going for a Lee-to-the-Mets deal.
What’s not going for it, however, is Angel Pagan. The Mets don’t want to part with him:
Several senior Mets officials said that because of the uncertainty
surrounding Carlos Beltran’s
health, the team does not have the luxury of trading Pagan, who has
greatly enhanced his value with a strong season subbing for Beltran in
Makes sense to me. You deal Pagan and you’ve merely created another hole while filling the rotation slot. You find a way to keep his bat in the lineup while adding Beltran soon and then snagging someone like Lee and you’ve transformed a frisky-but-flawed team into a serious contender.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 12
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 157
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39