Jun 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
I’m not the world’s smartest guy, but I know a couple of things. For one thing, I know that the Padres have the best pitching in the majors, leading all of baseball in ERA and allowing the fewest runs per game of any team.
Another thing I know is that Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com is pretty brilliant, and he thinks that (a) the Padres’ pitching has been otherworldly; and (b) “the addition of another above-average bat to their lineup may be all the Padres need to remain one of the biggest surprises of the season.”
So it makes perfect sense, therefore that someone is telling FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic that the Padres might add additional pitching at the trade deadline. He says that the Padres are “extra interested in potential free agents,” because they believe that once a pitcher gets to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park that they’ll want to stick around. He might not be wrong about that. San Diego is pretty much awesome, especially if you hurl horsehide for a living.
Still, the Padres picking up pitching when they really, really need a bat or three seems like overkill, doesn’t it? Does to me.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 42
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)