Jun 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
I’m not the world’s smartest guy, but I know a couple of things. For one thing, I know that the Padres have the best pitching in the majors, leading all of baseball in ERA and allowing the fewest runs per game of any team.
Another thing I know is that Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com is pretty brilliant, and he thinks that (a) the Padres’ pitching has been otherworldly; and (b) “the addition of another above-average bat to their lineup may be all the Padres need to remain one of the biggest surprises of the season.”
So it makes perfect sense, therefore that someone is telling FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic that the Padres might add additional pitching at the trade deadline. He says that the Padres are “extra interested in potential free agents,” because they believe that once a pitcher gets to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park that they’ll want to stick around. He might not be wrong about that. San Diego is pretty much awesome, especially if you hurl horsehide for a living.
Still, the Padres picking up pitching when they really, really need a bat or three seems like overkill, doesn’t it? Does to me.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (315)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)