Jun 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
I’m not the world’s smartest guy, but I know a couple of things. For one thing, I know that the Padres have the best pitching in the majors, leading all of baseball in ERA and allowing the fewest runs per game of any team.
Another thing I know is that Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com is pretty brilliant, and he thinks that (a) the Padres’ pitching has been otherworldly; and (b) “the addition of another above-average bat to their lineup may be all the Padres need to remain one of the biggest surprises of the season.”
So it makes perfect sense, therefore that someone is telling FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic that the Padres might add additional pitching at the trade deadline. He says that the Padres are “extra interested in potential free agents,” because they believe that once a pitcher gets to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park that they’ll want to stick around. He might not be wrong about that. San Diego is pretty much awesome, especially if you hurl horsehide for a living.
Still, the Padres picking up pitching when they really, really need a bat or three seems like overkill, doesn’t it? Does to me.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)