Jun 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
I’m not the world’s smartest guy, but I know a couple of things. For one thing, I know that the Padres have the best pitching in the majors, leading all of baseball in ERA and allowing the fewest runs per game of any team.
Another thing I know is that Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com is pretty brilliant, and he thinks that (a) the Padres’ pitching has been otherworldly; and (b) “the addition of another above-average bat to their lineup may be all the Padres need to remain one of the biggest surprises of the season.”
So it makes perfect sense, therefore that someone is telling FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic that the Padres might add additional pitching at the trade deadline. He says that the Padres are “extra interested in potential free agents,” because they believe that once a pitcher gets to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park that they’ll want to stick around. He might not be wrong about that. San Diego is pretty much awesome, especially if you hurl horsehide for a living.
Still, the Padres picking up pitching when they really, really need a bat or three seems like overkill, doesn’t it? Does to me.
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 0
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 116
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (99)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M