Jun 25, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
I’m not the world’s smartest guy, but I know a couple of things. For one thing, I know that the Padres have the best pitching in the majors, leading all of baseball in ERA and allowing the fewest runs per game of any team.
Another thing I know is that Sean Forman of Baseball-Reference.com is pretty brilliant, and he thinks that (a) the Padres’ pitching has been otherworldly; and (b) “the addition of another above-average bat to their lineup may be all the Padres need to remain one of the biggest surprises of the season.”
So it makes perfect sense, therefore that someone is telling FanHouse’s Tom Krasovic that the Padres might add additional pitching at the trade deadline. He says that the Padres are “extra interested in potential free agents,” because they believe that once a pitcher gets to the pitcher-friendly confines of Petco Park that they’ll want to stick around. He might not be wrong about that. San Diego is pretty much awesome, especially if you hurl horsehide for a living.
Still, the Padres picking up pitching when they really, really need a bat or three seems like overkill, doesn’t it? Does to me.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)