Jun 26, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Pedroia may miss six weeks.
10:38 AM: Dustin Pedroia left Friday’s game against the Giants after fouling a ball off his left foot in the top of the third inning. According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, initial X-rays didn’t show a break, however they were inconclusive enough that Pedroia will undergo further tests on Saturday morning.
“He was X-rayed and they didn’t see any break or anything, but we’re
obviously going to get him examined a lot more tomorrow,” said Red Sox
manager Terry Francona. “I think we’ve got a 10 o’clock MRI, CT scan,
whatever it is, I don’t know. He’s having a tough time putting weight on
it. He’s really sore, you can tell.”
After the game, Pedroia spoke to reporters after the with the help of crutches and a walking boot.
“Just ice, elevate and pray,” Pedroia said. “I don’t know, man.”
The impact of losing Pedroia for a significant period of time obviously can’t be understated. The 26-year-old second baseman is batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 homers, 41 RBI, eight stolen bases, 24 doubles and 52 runs scored over the first 73 games this season. He is batting .374 this month and just had his first career three-homer game against the Rockies on Thursday.
Look for the Red Sox to add an extra infielder before Saturday’s game, while Bill Hall will likely fill in at second base.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)