Jun 26, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Pedroia may miss six weeks.
10:38 AM: Dustin Pedroia left Friday’s game against the Giants after fouling a ball off his left foot in the top of the third inning. According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, initial X-rays didn’t show a break, however they were inconclusive enough that Pedroia will undergo further tests on Saturday morning.
“He was X-rayed and they didn’t see any break or anything, but we’re
obviously going to get him examined a lot more tomorrow,” said Red Sox
manager Terry Francona. “I think we’ve got a 10 o’clock MRI, CT scan,
whatever it is, I don’t know. He’s having a tough time putting weight on
it. He’s really sore, you can tell.”
After the game, Pedroia spoke to reporters after the with the help of crutches and a walking boot.
“Just ice, elevate and pray,” Pedroia said. “I don’t know, man.”
The impact of losing Pedroia for a significant period of time obviously can’t be understated. The 26-year-old second baseman is batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 homers, 41 RBI, eight stolen bases, 24 doubles and 52 runs scored over the first 73 games this season. He is batting .374 this month and just had his first career three-homer game against the Rockies on Thursday.
Look for the Red Sox to add an extra infielder before Saturday’s game, while Bill Hall will likely fill in at second base.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)