Jun 26, 2010, 6:31 PM EST
UPDATE: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Pedroia may miss six weeks.
10:38 AM: Dustin Pedroia left Friday’s game against the Giants after fouling a ball off his left foot in the top of the third inning. According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, initial X-rays didn’t show a break, however they were inconclusive enough that Pedroia will undergo further tests on Saturday morning.
“He was X-rayed and they didn’t see any break or anything, but we’re
obviously going to get him examined a lot more tomorrow,” said Red Sox
manager Terry Francona. “I think we’ve got a 10 o’clock MRI, CT scan,
whatever it is, I don’t know. He’s having a tough time putting weight on
it. He’s really sore, you can tell.”
After the game, Pedroia spoke to reporters after the with the help of crutches and a walking boot.
“Just ice, elevate and pray,” Pedroia said. “I don’t know, man.”
The impact of losing Pedroia for a significant period of time obviously can’t be understated. The 26-year-old second baseman is batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 homers, 41 RBI, eight stolen bases, 24 doubles and 52 runs scored over the first 73 games this season. He is batting .374 this month and just had his first career three-homer game against the Rockies on Thursday.
Look for the Red Sox to add an extra infielder before Saturday’s game, while Bill Hall will likely fill in at second base.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)