Jun 26, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Pedroia may miss six weeks.
10:38 AM: Dustin Pedroia left Friday’s game against the Giants after fouling a ball off his left foot in the top of the third inning. According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, initial X-rays didn’t show a break, however they were inconclusive enough that Pedroia will undergo further tests on Saturday morning.
“He was X-rayed and they didn’t see any break or anything, but we’re
obviously going to get him examined a lot more tomorrow,” said Red Sox
manager Terry Francona. “I think we’ve got a 10 o’clock MRI, CT scan,
whatever it is, I don’t know. He’s having a tough time putting weight on
it. He’s really sore, you can tell.”
After the game, Pedroia spoke to reporters after the with the help of crutches and a walking boot.
“Just ice, elevate and pray,” Pedroia said. “I don’t know, man.”
The impact of losing Pedroia for a significant period of time obviously can’t be understated. The 26-year-old second baseman is batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 homers, 41 RBI, eight stolen bases, 24 doubles and 52 runs scored over the first 73 games this season. He is batting .374 this month and just had his first career three-homer game against the Rockies on Thursday.
Look for the Red Sox to add an extra infielder before Saturday’s game, while Bill Hall will likely fill in at second base.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1