Jun 26, 2010, 6:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe hears that Pedroia may miss six weeks.
10:38 AM: Dustin Pedroia left Friday’s game against the Giants after fouling a ball off his left foot in the top of the third inning. According to Ian Browne of MLB.com, initial X-rays didn’t show a break, however they were inconclusive enough that Pedroia will undergo further tests on Saturday morning.
“He was X-rayed and they didn’t see any break or anything, but we’re
obviously going to get him examined a lot more tomorrow,” said Red Sox
manager Terry Francona. “I think we’ve got a 10 o’clock MRI, CT scan,
whatever it is, I don’t know. He’s having a tough time putting weight on
it. He’s really sore, you can tell.”
After the game, Pedroia spoke to reporters after the with the help of crutches and a walking boot.
“Just ice, elevate and pray,” Pedroia said. “I don’t know, man.”
The impact of losing Pedroia for a significant period of time obviously can’t be understated. The 26-year-old second baseman is batting .292/.370/.502 with 12 homers, 41 RBI, eight stolen bases, 24 doubles and 52 runs scored over the first 73 games this season. He is batting .374 this month and just had his first career three-homer game against the Rockies on Thursday.
Look for the Red Sox to add an extra infielder before Saturday’s game, while Bill Hall will likely fill in at second base.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)