Jun 26, 2010, 12:24 PM EST
Francisco Rodriguez was visibly uncomfortable on the mound during the ninth inning
of Friday’s 5-2 win over the Twins, even requiring a visit from Mets manager Jerry Manuel
and trainer Ray Ramirez.
Though he was able to finish off his 17th save, he told Adam Rubin of ESPN.com that the dramatic back pain he experienced at Fenway Park last May has never completely gone away.
“Boston, I wasn’t even able to move. I’ve been dealing with this for a
while. I’ve been doing more stretching and some treatment on it. But
today it got a little worse. I think I’ll be all right tomorrow.”
The Mets’ closer indicated that he recently received a cortisone injection before the club’s recent roadtrip, but said that it only lessened the pain for “like four or five hours.” The pain hasn’t prevented him from pitching until this point and Jerry Manuel told reporters Saturday that K-Rod will be available for this afternoon’s game.
Rodriguez has a 2.13 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and a 48/13 K/BB ratio over 38 innings this season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)