Jun 26, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
According to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Jason Heyward finally conceded that the injury to his left thumb is “a real problem.” He will sit out the next two days in order to see a hand specialist.
The thumb has bothered Heyward since late last month and it shows in his rather steep drop in production. The 20-year-old outfielder is batting just .181/.287/.245 with one home run, seven RBI and a 32/13 K/BB ratio over 94 at-bats this month.
He now has a .251/.366/.455 batting line to go along with 11 homers and 45 RBI over his first 255 at-bats in the big leagues. Still pretty impressive numbers for a rookie, but he was batting .301/.421/.596 with a 1.017 OPS on May 30. The Braves have already had some pretty dreadful luck in their outfield this season, so hopefully the injury doesn’t keep him out for long.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 18
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 13
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 74
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 77
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)