Jun 26, 2010, 9:11 AM EDT
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News, the Giants will call up Madison Bumgarner to start against the Red Sox on Saturday.
Bumgarner was scratched from his start for Triple-A Fresno on Friday night, but the Giants downplayed the whole situation at first, saying that he would only be used if Joe Martinez was needed in relief on Friday night. While Martinez did warm up, he never entered the game. Still, after Friday’s game, Giants manager Bruce Bochy said they “needed a fresh arm.” In other words, the Giants probably intended to go with Bumgarner all along.
The 20-year-old left-hander had a chance to make the team out of spring training, but gave up five runs over seven innings (6.43 ERA) while showing decreased velocity, eventually losing the fifth starter gig to Todd Wellemeyer. Bumgarner has turned it around since then, going 7-1 with a 3.16 ERA and a 1.33 WHIP over 14 starts with Triple-A Fresno, touching 90-93 mph on the radar gun in recent starts.
The 2007 first-round pick posted a 1.80 ERA in three relief appearances and one start as a September call-up last season. Despite concerns about his velocity, Baseball America ranked him as the No. 14 prospect in all of baseball over the winter.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 97
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)