Oh no! A-Rod snubs Joe Torre

Jun 26, 2010, 11:12 AM EST

According to Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger, no more than 10 feet separated Alex Rodriguez from Dodgers manager Joe Torre before Friday’s game, however the third baseman kept his back turned as the former Yankees skipper was greeted by some of his former players around the batting cage, including Derek Jeter, Joba Chamberlain, Robinson Cano, Joe Girardi and Jorge Posada. Burn.

“I didn’t see him,” said Rodriguez, who before the game, kept his back
turned away as Torre exchanged hugs and handshakes. “But I’m sure we’ll
get a chance to meet up.”

Many believe that Rodriguez still holds a grudge after Torre batted him eighth during the 2006 playoffs and painted him in a negative light in his book “The Yankee Years,” co-written with Sports Illustrated’s Tom Verducci. Still, Torre isn’t bothered by the alleged “snub.”

“I don’t look at it as disrespect,” Torre said. “I don’t know what to
say but I don’t want to dump on Alex… If we had come close enough, we
certainly would have shaken hands.”

Pressed on the matter, Rodriguez said he intends to greet Torre before the end of the series.

“We’re going to be here for three days,” he said. “There’s no rush. I
don’t really have anything to say. If he wants to talk I’m more than
welcome to talk to him.”

You know that whole matter about tired storylines in nationally-televised games? Well, you might want to stay away from your television this weekend, as FOX will carry Saturday’s game and ESPN will be in Los Angeles on Sunday night.

For those of you interested in the actual game, the Yankees won Friday’s series opener 2-1 thanks to a go-ahead solo home run by Rodriguez in the sixth inning and Mariano Rivera striking out the side in the bottom of the ninth.

1. Ditto65 - Jun 26, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Tired story lines do not belong here. Witty, thought provoking insights and observations, however, are appreciated.

2. JBerardi - Jun 26, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Did you actually read what D.J. wrote about this story?

3. Ditto65 - Jun 26, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Yes, I did. Did you? It was all tired story lines until the last two sentences. Who talked to who (or is it whom?) during BP has little to do with the game.

4. bigfan - Jun 26, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Whom.

5. Klingon - Jun 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

the middle school nonsense should be kept out (johhny told me that je heard susie tell Karen she liked him….)
    I have no use for ARod so keep this in mind- if he said hello or went out of his way it would be reported as A Rod sucking up and making a phoney public display. Furthermore I dont blame ARod after being scorched in the Torre book. For all th eyears Torre preached it stays in the clubhouse, he sure went the other way for his book. Torre lost me at the book.

6. Ditto65 - Jun 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Thanks.

7. Ditto65 - Jun 28, 2010 at 6:29 AM

It’s ok everybody – they kissed and made up during recess!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester