Jun 26, 2010, 9:28 PM EDT
The Red Sox lost second baseman Dustin Pedroia on Friday to a fractured foot. On Saturday they lessened the blow of that loss, aggressively acquiring utilityman Eric Patterson from the A’s in exchange for minor league left-hander Fabian Williamson. This according to the Boston Herald.
Williamson isn’t much of a catch for Oakland. Since coming over from Seattle in a 2009 trade involving David Aardsma, the 21-year-old southpaw has made very little progress in the minor league ranks. He had a 3.72 ERA and a 1.41 WHIP through 65.1 innings for Single-A Salem at the time of Saturday’s swap and has never even sniffed Double-A. He may have trouble working his way up the ladder to the major leagues.
Patterson is no prize, either, but he has played some second base in the big leagues and can fill in for Pedroia at the position until the Red Sox come up with a better alternative. He was hitting just .204/.255/.408 with 11 extra-base hits in 103 at-bats when the A’s designated him for assignment last week.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)