Jun 26, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Diamondbacks will give Edwin Jackson two extra days of rest, pushing his next scheduled start back to next Friday against the Dodgers.
Jackson threw 149 pitches in his no-hitter against the Rays on Friday night, the highest pitch count in one game since Livan Hernandez threw 150 pitches on June 3, 2005.
It’s often stated as gospel that such an inflated pitch count will mean that a pitcher will fare worse in their next start or have an increased chance at injury. I have no evidence one way or the other on that one — in fact, J.C. Bradbury finds a pretty negligible difference — but for a team that is buried in last place in the National League West, there’s no need for the Diamondbacks to push their luck.
An interesting side note, Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com hears that the Nationals were exploring a trade for Jackson. The 26-year-old right-hander avoided arbitration with the Diamondbacks by signing a two-year, $13.5 million contract in February. He will make $8.35 million next season before becoming a free agent for the first time.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)