Jun 26, 2010, 8:05 PM EDT
The Cubs suspended Carlos Zambrano indefinitely on Friday after he blew up in the dugout, getting in the face of first baseman Derrek Lee and turning over a water cooler. Now the punishment continues.
According to Carrie Muskat of MLB.com, Zambrano will not return to the Cubs’ starting rotation once he is activated from his club-assigned suspension. He will head back to the bullpen, where he spent part of April and all of May.
Big Z has posted a 4.15 ERA and a 1.46 WHIP this season in 14.1 innings as a reliever and a 3-5 record, a 6.12 ERA and a 1.76 WHIP as a starter. To be blunt, he’s pretty awful these days no matter the role.
The Cubs have not made immediate plans to fill his rotation spot, nor have they called up a player to take Zambrano’s place on the 25-man roster. Some changes will need to be made by early next week.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)