Jun 27, 2010, 2:51 PM EST
Brewers GM Doug Melvin told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt on Saturday that his club has made little progress toward a contract extension with slugger Prince Fielder and his agent, Scott Boras.
Melvin and Co. had been in talks with Boras during spring training, but it sounds like the two sides have very different opinions on the big man’s value. Fielder is in the midst of a down year, batting a pedestrian .260/.392/.473 by his high standards. Of course, there is plenty of baseball yet to be played this season and Cecil’s son is certainly capable of turning things around. He does have 15 home runs and a 968 OPS in June.
The Brewers may hang onto Fielder until the offseason and then try to trade him for a batch of young prospects, but Melvin acknowledged that he will listen to offers from other clubs in the meantime.
“Whenever a deal feels good, you make it,” said the general manager. “There’s no
timetable for that. Somebody could call up and say, ‘Hey, would you do
lot of guys snoop around to see what’s going on. If somebody asks about
a player, I’ll say, ‘You’ve asked about him. What will you offer?’”
Fielder, who turned 26 in May, is under contract through the 2011 season. He is a .281/.382/.542 career hitter with 175 home runs over his first five-plus professional seasons.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)