Jun 27, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
The Orioles finally pulled the trigger and rid themselves of Garrett Atkins on Sunday, designating him for assignment to clear 25-man roster space for now-healthy reliever Koji Uehara. This via Britt Ghiroli of MLB.com.
Atkins had played in just six of the Orioles’ last 23 games, so the dump should come as no surprise.
The 30-year-old corner infielder was batting just .219/.282/.292 with one home run in 149 plate appearances. He signed a one-year, $4.5 million contract this offseason and the O’s will almost certainly have to eat all of that unless another team is crazy enough to step forward and take him on.
Atkins is likely to find a chance with another club once the O’s release him, but a change of scenery probably won’t cure much. He has regressed steadily since posting a .329/.409/.556 batting line, 29 home runs, 117 runs and 120 RBI in 2006. And he has never been much of a defender.
Last year he batted .226/.308/.342 in 399 plate appearances for the Rockies, so one could argue that the Orioles should have never handed him a contract in the first place. OK, we can all argue that.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires