Jun 27, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:34 PM: Spencer now says that Heyman got it right. Valentine is no longer in the running for the job.
UPDATE, 8:50 PM: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald heard from a “high-placed source” late Sunday night that Valentine is still a candidate for the job.
UPDATE, 6:24 PM: This is all news to Valentine, who texted “I have no idea” to the Palm Beach Post’s Joe Capozzi when asked about Heyman’s report and whether or not he is still in the running for the job.
6:11 PM: SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Valentine is no longer in the running for the Marlins’ managerial opening.
What an odd turn of events. Valentine seemed like a near-lock for the gig on Friday when Heyman posted this on Twitter:
“marlins, valentine have at least a tentative deal for him to manage. he starts by monday, when florida plays mets in P.R. “
And Heyman was not alone. Many in the baseball industry, even those with close ties to both Valentine and the Marlins’ thinking were penciling the Baseball Tonight analyst in as the team’s new manager.
Now it appears that the Marlins will stick with interim skipper Edwin Rodriguez as they travel to Puerto Rico for a three-game set with the Mets. It’s a nice honor for Rodriguez, who is from the country, but whether he will have his interim tag removed altogether remains to be seen. The Marlins cut ties with manager Fredi Gonzalez last week after the club got off to a 34-36 record this season under his watch.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)