Jun 27, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:34 PM: Spencer now says that Heyman got it right. Valentine is no longer in the running for the job.
UPDATE, 8:50 PM: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald heard from a “high-placed source” late Sunday night that Valentine is still a candidate for the job.
UPDATE, 6:24 PM: This is all news to Valentine, who texted “I have no idea” to the Palm Beach Post’s Joe Capozzi when asked about Heyman’s report and whether or not he is still in the running for the job.
6:11 PM: SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Valentine is no longer in the running for the Marlins’ managerial opening.
What an odd turn of events. Valentine seemed like a near-lock for the gig on Friday when Heyman posted this on Twitter:
“marlins, valentine have at least a tentative deal for him to manage. he starts by monday, when florida plays mets in P.R. “
And Heyman was not alone. Many in the baseball industry, even those with close ties to both Valentine and the Marlins’ thinking were penciling the Baseball Tonight analyst in as the team’s new manager.
Now it appears that the Marlins will stick with interim skipper Edwin Rodriguez as they travel to Puerto Rico for a three-game set with the Mets. It’s a nice honor for Rodriguez, who is from the country, but whether he will have his interim tag removed altogether remains to be seen. The Marlins cut ties with manager Fredi Gonzalez last week after the club got off to a 34-36 record this season under his watch.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 85
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (85)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)