Jun 27, 2010, 10:34 PM EDT
UPDATE, 10:34 PM: Spencer now says that Heyman got it right. Valentine is no longer in the running for the job.
UPDATE, 8:50 PM: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald heard from a “high-placed source” late Sunday night that Valentine is still a candidate for the job.
UPDATE, 6:24 PM: This is all news to Valentine, who texted “I have no idea” to the Palm Beach Post’s Joe Capozzi when asked about Heyman’s report and whether or not he is still in the running for the job.
6:11 PM: SI.com’s Jon Heyman reports that Bobby Valentine is no longer in the running for the Marlins’ managerial opening.
What an odd turn of events. Valentine seemed like a near-lock for the gig on Friday when Heyman posted this on Twitter:
“marlins, valentine have at least a tentative deal for him to manage. he starts by monday, when florida plays mets in P.R. “
And Heyman was not alone. Many in the baseball industry, even those with close ties to both Valentine and the Marlins’ thinking were penciling the Baseball Tonight analyst in as the team’s new manager.
Now it appears that the Marlins will stick with interim skipper Edwin Rodriguez as they travel to Puerto Rico for a three-game set with the Mets. It’s a nice honor for Rodriguez, who is from the country, but whether he will have his interim tag removed altogether remains to be seen. The Marlins cut ties with manager Fredi Gonzalez last week after the club got off to a 34-36 record this season under his watch.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)