Jun 27, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Victor Martinez was diagnosed with a fracture in the tip of his left thumb Sunday after departing early from the Red Sox’s 5-1 victory over the Giants. He was hit on the hand with multiple foul tips over the first four innings of the game, and one obviously got him good.
Another Boston ballplayer bites the dust.
The Red Sox have also lost Clay Buchholz to a hyperextended knee and Dustin Pedroia to a broken foot on this road trip. Buchholz is expected to miss only one start, if that, but Pedroia won’t be back for another four-to-six weeks.
V-Mart’s injury is not believed to be serious and should heal with time. He could need a stint on the disabled list due to swelling, but the Sox will keep him active until that move is absolutely necessary. For now, he’s considered day-to-day.
“Dr. (Thomas) Gil has already seen the X-rays. It’s not a given
that he goes on the DL,” manager Terry Francona told the Boston Globe on Sunday. “It’s not a given that he’s going
to be OK, either. We’ll get him examined tomorrow and see where we go
Jason Varitek will start behind the plate in Martinez’s absence. The Red Sox veteran has hit .258/.327/.562 with seven home runs and 14 RBI in only 89 at-bats this season. Martinez was batting .289/.344/.480 with nine homers and 38 RBI in 246 at-bats.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)