Jun 27, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Victor Martinez was diagnosed with a fracture in the tip of his left thumb Sunday after departing early from the Red Sox’s 5-1 victory over the Giants. He was hit on the hand with multiple foul tips over the first four innings of the game, and one obviously got him good.
Another Boston ballplayer bites the dust.
The Red Sox have also lost Clay Buchholz to a hyperextended knee and Dustin Pedroia to a broken foot on this road trip. Buchholz is expected to miss only one start, if that, but Pedroia won’t be back for another four-to-six weeks.
V-Mart’s injury is not believed to be serious and should heal with time. He could need a stint on the disabled list due to swelling, but the Sox will keep him active until that move is absolutely necessary. For now, he’s considered day-to-day.
“Dr. (Thomas) Gil has already seen the X-rays. It’s not a given
that he goes on the DL,” manager Terry Francona told the Boston Globe on Sunday. “It’s not a given that he’s going
to be OK, either. We’ll get him examined tomorrow and see where we go
Jason Varitek will start behind the plate in Martinez’s absence. The Red Sox veteran has hit .258/.327/.562 with seven home runs and 14 RBI in only 89 at-bats this season. Martinez was batting .289/.344/.480 with nine homers and 38 RBI in 246 at-bats.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 15
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)