Jun 27, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Victor Martinez was diagnosed with a fracture in the tip of his left thumb Sunday after departing early from the Red Sox’s 5-1 victory over the Giants. He was hit on the hand with multiple foul tips over the first four innings of the game, and one obviously got him good.
Another Boston ballplayer bites the dust.
The Red Sox have also lost Clay Buchholz to a hyperextended knee and Dustin Pedroia to a broken foot on this road trip. Buchholz is expected to miss only one start, if that, but Pedroia won’t be back for another four-to-six weeks.
V-Mart’s injury is not believed to be serious and should heal with time. He could need a stint on the disabled list due to swelling, but the Sox will keep him active until that move is absolutely necessary. For now, he’s considered day-to-day.
“Dr. (Thomas) Gil has already seen the X-rays. It’s not a given
that he goes on the DL,” manager Terry Francona told the Boston Globe on Sunday. “It’s not a given that he’s going
to be OK, either. We’ll get him examined tomorrow and see where we go
Jason Varitek will start behind the plate in Martinez’s absence. The Red Sox veteran has hit .258/.327/.562 with seven home runs and 14 RBI in only 89 at-bats this season. Martinez was batting .289/.344/.480 with nine homers and 38 RBI in 246 at-bats.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)