Jun 27, 2010, 9:23 PM EDT
Victor Martinez was diagnosed with a fracture in the tip of his left thumb Sunday after departing early from the Red Sox’s 5-1 victory over the Giants. He was hit on the hand with multiple foul tips over the first four innings of the game, and one obviously got him good.
Another Boston ballplayer bites the dust.
The Red Sox have also lost Clay Buchholz to a hyperextended knee and Dustin Pedroia to a broken foot on this road trip. Buchholz is expected to miss only one start, if that, but Pedroia won’t be back for another four-to-six weeks.
V-Mart’s injury is not believed to be serious and should heal with time. He could need a stint on the disabled list due to swelling, but the Sox will keep him active until that move is absolutely necessary. For now, he’s considered day-to-day.
“Dr. (Thomas) Gil has already seen the X-rays. It’s not a given
that he goes on the DL,” manager Terry Francona told the Boston Globe on Sunday. “It’s not a given that he’s going
to be OK, either. We’ll get him examined tomorrow and see where we go
Jason Varitek will start behind the plate in Martinez’s absence. The Red Sox veteran has hit .258/.327/.562 with seven home runs and 14 RBI in only 89 at-bats this season. Martinez was batting .289/.344/.480 with nine homers and 38 RBI in 246 at-bats.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)