A Cliff Lee-to-the-Mets deal gets complicated

Jun 28, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT

UPDATE: Joel Sherman contradicts the Burkhardt report, saying that the Mets will not require a negotiating window with Lee if Mejia is involved in a deal.

9:07 A.M.: I said last week that I think the Mets are the frontrunners for Cliff Lee because (a) they have a top young pitcher they are willing to trade in Jenrry Mejia; and (b) they said that they wouldn’t require a window to negotiate a contract extension with Cliff Lee before trading for him.  Now all of that seems to be complicated.

For one thing Mejia left his start for Double-A Binghamton yesterday because of an injury. “Shoulder stiffness” is what we’re hearing now.  No other details yet and it’s entirely possible that it turns out to be nothing, but when you’re trying to trade a guy as a top prospect, the last thing you want is an injury.

The other complicating factor is that, according to Kevin Burkhardt, the Mets would in fact require a negotiating window with Lee if the player to be traded for him is, in fact, Mejia.

Other outlets are calling the Twins the frontrunners for Lee right now. It’s hard to truly handicap that in the absence of something credible regarding who Minnesota might be willing to offer for Lee and I haven’t seen anything like that yet.  But if Mejia is hurt, and if the Mets are going to be more cautious about dealing him to begin with, I can’t really see any reason to stick with them as the frontrunners either.

And now that I put it like that, it’s almost as if all of this talk about the big fish at the trade deadline is, you know, speculation and stuff.  And we’ve never ever had that happen before . . .

1. Jonny5 - Jun 28, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I see my Praying to God, Allah, Buddah, Jesus, and a cow over the weekend that Mets would not get Lee is working… Nice… Excuse me while I get my prayer rug and Jobu idol out from my desk drawer, brb.

2. BC - Jun 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Omar Minaya is a chipwich.
    For crying out loud guys, MAKE THE TRADE. Throw in an additional prospect if you have to!!!
    Puh-leeeeeeeeze!!!!!!

3. Jonny5 - Jun 28, 2010 at 10:33 AM

His name is far too “not hispanic” sounding for Minaya.

4. BC - Jun 28, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Make a condition of the trade that he has his name changed to Jesus Calderson or something then. (Made that up) JUST MAKE THE TRADE!!

5. Jonny5 - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM

BC, I think it shows that the Mets aren’t all that interested in a championship if they let Lee slip by them this easily. They have a shot at it this very season, without Lee? Can Santana keep his head on straight? I wouldn’t if in his situation. Will Dickey be the newest ACE? Seriously though, a legitimate shot with Lee on board. Without Lee, Minaya will rely on pure luck alone, and September isn’t easy on the Mets when it comes to luck. Just a thought. Imagine it, “Cliff Leeandez” taking the mound for the Mutts. Phillies fans are scared to death of that happening, at least I am.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS