Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
This is a bummer: because Jason Heyward has a bum thumb, he won’t be in the lineup for tonight’s Braves-Nationals game and thus we won’t get a chance to see a matchup between the year’s most-hyped rookie hitter and most-hyped rookie pitcher.
Note, I said “most-hyped” rookie hitter, not the best. Because, as I noted this morning, Heyward has been on a godawful skid lately, most likely due to his thumb, which is preventing him from gripping the bat properly, but partially from some expected rookie regression as well. Brennan Boesch has been the best rookie hitter.
Still, I would have liked to see the matchup for history’s sake (I predict Heyward will turn out to be the best of this year’s rookie hitters in his career). Not that we won’t get to see a ton of Heyward-Strasburg over the next several years in the NL East, of course.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)