Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
This is a bummer: because Jason Heyward has a bum thumb, he won’t be in the lineup for tonight’s Braves-Nationals game and thus we won’t get a chance to see a matchup between the year’s most-hyped rookie hitter and most-hyped rookie pitcher.
Note, I said “most-hyped” rookie hitter, not the best. Because, as I noted this morning, Heyward has been on a godawful skid lately, most likely due to his thumb, which is preventing him from gripping the bat properly, but partially from some expected rookie regression as well. Brennan Boesch has been the best rookie hitter.
Still, I would have liked to see the matchup for history’s sake (I predict Heyward will turn out to be the best of this year’s rookie hitters in his career). Not that we won’t get to see a ton of Heyward-Strasburg over the next several years in the NL East, of course.
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 8
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 11
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 21
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)