Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM EDT
This is a bummer: because Jason Heyward has a bum thumb, he won’t be in the lineup for tonight’s Braves-Nationals game and thus we won’t get a chance to see a matchup between the year’s most-hyped rookie hitter and most-hyped rookie pitcher.
Note, I said “most-hyped” rookie hitter, not the best. Because, as I noted this morning, Heyward has been on a godawful skid lately, most likely due to his thumb, which is preventing him from gripping the bat properly, but partially from some expected rookie regression as well. Brennan Boesch has been the best rookie hitter.
Still, I would have liked to see the matchup for history’s sake (I predict Heyward will turn out to be the best of this year’s rookie hitters in his career). Not that we won’t get to see a ton of Heyward-Strasburg over the next several years in the NL East, of course.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (121)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)