Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM EST
This is a bummer: because Jason Heyward has a bum thumb, he won’t be in the lineup for tonight’s Braves-Nationals game and thus we won’t get a chance to see a matchup between the year’s most-hyped rookie hitter and most-hyped rookie pitcher.
Note, I said “most-hyped” rookie hitter, not the best. Because, as I noted this morning, Heyward has been on a godawful skid lately, most likely due to his thumb, which is preventing him from gripping the bat properly, but partially from some expected rookie regression as well. Brennan Boesch has been the best rookie hitter.
Still, I would have liked to see the matchup for history’s sake (I predict Heyward will turn out to be the best of this year’s rookie hitters in his career). Not that we won’t get to see a ton of Heyward-Strasburg over the next several years in the NL East, of course.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 45
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 35
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)