Jun 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
After being re-evaluated by doctors on Monday, it was determined that Dustin Pedroia will not need surgery or a pin placed in his fractured left foot, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
Pedroia is still expected to miss four to six weeks, but the Red Sox are pretty fortunate with this timetable, especially with the All-Star break right in the middle of it.
It looks like Pedroia may soon have some company, as sources tell Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe that Victor Martinez will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Martinez was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fracture on the tip of his left thumb, suffered when he was hit by two foul balls behind the plate on Sunday. The injury will not require surgery, but a DL stint would take him out of commission through the All-Star break. Again, not the worst timing for an injury to heal.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox would likely call up Gustavo Molina from Triple-A Pawtucket if Martinez requires a trip to the disabled list. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 35
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 4
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 15
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 7
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)