Jun 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EST
After being re-evaluated by doctors on Monday, it was determined that Dustin Pedroia will not need surgery or a pin placed in his fractured left foot, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
Pedroia is still expected to miss four to six weeks, but the Red Sox are pretty fortunate with this timetable, especially with the All-Star break right in the middle of it.
It looks like Pedroia may soon have some company, as sources tell Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe that Victor Martinez will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Martinez was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fracture on the tip of his left thumb, suffered when he was hit by two foul balls behind the plate on Sunday. The injury will not require surgery, but a DL stint would take him out of commission through the All-Star break. Again, not the worst timing for an injury to heal.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox would likely call up Gustavo Molina from Triple-A Pawtucket if Martinez requires a trip to the disabled list. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)