Jun 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
After being re-evaluated by doctors on Monday, it was determined that Dustin Pedroia will not need surgery or a pin placed in his fractured left foot, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
Pedroia is still expected to miss four to six weeks, but the Red Sox are pretty fortunate with this timetable, especially with the All-Star break right in the middle of it.
It looks like Pedroia may soon have some company, as sources tell Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe that Victor Martinez will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Martinez was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fracture on the tip of his left thumb, suffered when he was hit by two foul balls behind the plate on Sunday. The injury will not require surgery, but a DL stint would take him out of commission through the All-Star break. Again, not the worst timing for an injury to heal.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox would likely call up Gustavo Molina from Triple-A Pawtucket if Martinez requires a trip to the disabled list. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)