Jun 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
After being re-evaluated by doctors on Monday, it was determined that Dustin Pedroia will not need surgery or a pin placed in his fractured left foot, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
Pedroia is still expected to miss four to six weeks, but the Red Sox are pretty fortunate with this timetable, especially with the All-Star break right in the middle of it.
It looks like Pedroia may soon have some company, as sources tell Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe that Victor Martinez will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Martinez was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fracture on the tip of his left thumb, suffered when he was hit by two foul balls behind the plate on Sunday. The injury will not require surgery, but a DL stint would take him out of commission through the All-Star break. Again, not the worst timing for an injury to heal.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox would likely call up Gustavo Molina from Triple-A Pawtucket if Martinez requires a trip to the disabled list. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 56
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)