Jun 28, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
After being re-evaluated by doctors on Monday, it was determined that Dustin Pedroia will not need surgery or a pin placed in his fractured left foot, according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com.
Pedroia is still expected to miss four to six weeks, but the Red Sox are pretty fortunate with this timetable, especially with the All-Star break right in the middle of it.
It looks like Pedroia may soon have some company, as sources tell Pete Abraham of the Boston Globe that Victor Martinez will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Martinez was diagnosed with a minimally displaced fracture on the tip of his left thumb, suffered when he was hit by two foul balls behind the plate on Sunday. The injury will not require surgery, but a DL stint would take him out of commission through the All-Star break. Again, not the worst timing for an injury to heal.
Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald writes that the Red Sox would likely call up Gustavo Molina from Triple-A Pawtucket if Martinez requires a trip to the disabled list. The team will make an official announcement Tuesday.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)