Jun 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EST
That’s according to Heyman. I have no idea what constitutes a “great” interview for a job in which the candidates are already well known and already have very public records. Maybe he answered that “where do you see yourself in five years” question better than anyone ever has. Maybe the writing sample was really, really good. Maybe the hiring partner is golf buddies with Wedge’s dad or something. It happens.
We’ve heard Wedge’s name mentioned before in connection to the Orioles’ job, but I still don’t get his appeal to them. He was to the Indians what Dave Trembley was to Baltimore: an organizational soldier with a good reputation for nurturing young players but a guy whose tactical decisions left much to be desired and who, more importantly, was never accused of over-motivating anyone.
Why Baltimore would go in Wedge’s direction when that approach just failed with Trembley is beyond me, but after the whole Loria-Valentine thing, I’ve given up on the manager handicapping business.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)