Jun 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
That’s according to Heyman. I have no idea what constitutes a “great” interview for a job in which the candidates are already well known and already have very public records. Maybe he answered that “where do you see yourself in five years” question better than anyone ever has. Maybe the writing sample was really, really good. Maybe the hiring partner is golf buddies with Wedge’s dad or something. It happens.
We’ve heard Wedge’s name mentioned before in connection to the Orioles’ job, but I still don’t get his appeal to them. He was to the Indians what Dave Trembley was to Baltimore: an organizational soldier with a good reputation for nurturing young players but a guy whose tactical decisions left much to be desired and who, more importantly, was never accused of over-motivating anyone.
Why Baltimore would go in Wedge’s direction when that approach just failed with Trembley is beyond me, but after the whole Loria-Valentine thing, I’ve given up on the manager handicapping business.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (170)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)