Jun 28, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
That’s according to Heyman. I have no idea what constitutes a “great” interview for a job in which the candidates are already well known and already have very public records. Maybe he answered that “where do you see yourself in five years” question better than anyone ever has. Maybe the writing sample was really, really good. Maybe the hiring partner is golf buddies with Wedge’s dad or something. It happens.
We’ve heard Wedge’s name mentioned before in connection to the Orioles’ job, but I still don’t get his appeal to them. He was to the Indians what Dave Trembley was to Baltimore: an organizational soldier with a good reputation for nurturing young players but a guy whose tactical decisions left much to be desired and who, more importantly, was never accused of over-motivating anyone.
Why Baltimore would go in Wedge’s direction when that approach just failed with Trembley is beyond me, but after the whole Loria-Valentine thing, I’ve given up on the manager handicapping business.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (115)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)