Jun 28, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Designated for assignment over the weekend, Garrett Atkins said he’s not willing to accept an assignment to Triple-A from the Orioles but would “definitely be willing” to sign a minor-league deal with another team once Baltimore lets him go.
Atkins hasn’t been a productive hitter since 2007, although for a while at least calling Coors Field home helped mask his decline somewhat. However, he’s batted just .223 with a .299 on-base percentage and .326 slugging percentage in 170 games dating back to the start of last season.
So while Atkins should have little trouble securing a minor-league contract his actually playing well enough at Triple-A to make it back to the majors is far from a sure thing.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)