Jun 28, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Designated for assignment over the weekend, Garrett Atkins said he’s not willing to accept an assignment to Triple-A from the Orioles but would “definitely be willing” to sign a minor-league deal with another team once Baltimore lets him go.
Atkins hasn’t been a productive hitter since 2007, although for a while at least calling Coors Field home helped mask his decline somewhat. However, he’s batted just .223 with a .299 on-base percentage and .326 slugging percentage in 170 games dating back to the start of last season.
So while Atkins should have little trouble securing a minor-league contract his actually playing well enough at Triple-A to make it back to the majors is far from a sure thing.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)