Jun 28, 2010, 7:43 PM EDT
Designated for assignment over the weekend, Garrett Atkins said he’s not willing to accept an assignment to Triple-A from the Orioles but would “definitely be willing” to sign a minor-league deal with another team once Baltimore lets him go.
Atkins hasn’t been a productive hitter since 2007, although for a while at least calling Coors Field home helped mask his decline somewhat. However, he’s batted just .223 with a .299 on-base percentage and .326 slugging percentage in 170 games dating back to the start of last season.
So while Atkins should have little trouble securing a minor-league contract his actually playing well enough at Triple-A to make it back to the majors is far from a sure thing.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)