HBT Weekend Wrapup

Jun 28, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

Stuff you missed while frolicking in the lawn sprinkler and eating popsicles on the front porch.
  • Things like the A-Rod and Torre drama is the reason why, instead of watching the Yankees-Dodgers game last night, I watched “L.A. Confidential” for the 45th time instead. Have you a valediction, boyo?
  • Brandon Phillips was arrested for reckless driving. I’m not one to rake muck or anything, but in Ohio reckless driving that involves speed alone — as Phillips’ apparently did — is quite often a ticketing offense, not an arresting offense. Usually the cops only take you in for it if they suspect booze or if you caused an accident or if there is some other reason to suspect that you pose a danger to anyone.  None of that appears to be the case with Phillips.  Things that make you go hmmm.
  • Jason Heyward has a sore thumb, which probably explains the express train to blah he’s been on the past few weeks. You got the gig, kid, don’t be a hero. Take some time off.
  • The ump in the Tigers-Braves game admitted he blew the strike call that ended Friday’s game.  Second sighting of the “I kicked that call” construction this year. I had never heard that before Joyce said it, and here it is again. Since then I’ve been using it around the house (i.e. “I kicked the s— out of that omelet this morning,” etc.) I bet I’m not alone.

Buster Olney ends each of his daily columns by saying “and today will be better than yesterday.” I admire his optimism, but I’m gonna level with you: each of you reading these words are one day closer to your death today than than you were yesterday. All your loved ones and pets and stuff too.  Sorry to be a downer like that, but if I can be honest with you on that score, you know I ain’t bull s——- you on the baseball stuff.  In other news, Buster Olney gets invited to a lot more parties than I do.

Now let’s go out there and avoid kicking the s— out of this week!

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 28, 2010 at 9:12 AM

“LA Confidential” was easily the best movie of 1997. The fact that it lost to “Titanic” that year is ridiculous. Have you read the book? It’s amazing how much they changed, and how it became a better story. If they kept everything as it was in the book, it would’ve been too weird and unbelievable.
    Oh, and I find Simon Baker’s success these days to be pretty funny, considering his role in LA Confidential…

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 28, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I’ve read all the Ellroy books. Yeah, that would be one trippy movie if they did it like the book. Probably a good call to pare it down like they did.

3. Old Gator - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM

I disagree. Keep it trippy. I loved the film anyway – when Guy Pearce turns to the commissioner he knows is watching through the one way glass and smiles with that snide triumphalism, “You’re gonna need a hero….” it still gives me goosebumps. But imagine if they had kept it faithful, replaced Kim Basinger with Lindsay Lohan in a peekaboo wig (yeah, I know she’s a mess but if you watch her performance in Bobby you also know she would have acted rings around Basinger in that role), it would’ve been right up there like a cross between Miller’s Crossing and Zardoz as a mega-mindmelt movie.

4. bmoline - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Uh…gator…Lohan would have been like 11 years old then. I haven’t read the book, but I can’t imagine that character was that young.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Uh oh. Gator, living in Macondo, you have to know the jury trial for indecent thoughts about an 11 year old wouldn’t last long. You in the witness box, 12 grandmothers on the jury. The prosecutor describing the filthy thoughts in your head while all those grandmother’s are picturing their sweet innocent 6th grade granddaughters and you with your gnarled claws about to pounce. Meanwhile you are thinking about a 20 year old with no under…Well. you get the picture. Craig can tell you how that would go. Either you’d fry or they’d have you spending life hand picking tar balls off the Destin sand without any sunscreen.

6. lar @ wezen-ball - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:53 AM

My complaints with the book – if that’s the right word – have more to do with the far-too-convoluted plot involving Pierce Patchett, Exley’s dad, the Mexican girl and everything else (it has been a while since I read it, though, so I’m probably getting a couple of things mixed up there). I liked the streamlined story in the movie with Exley’s dead father and all of that a lot more. I suspect the convoluted plot is something of an Ellroy staple, though, and it didn’t prevent me from enjoying the book. Mostly it just gave me a lot of respect for the guys who had to adapt the story to the big screen.
    And, Gator, you’re right: Pearce was so, so good in that movie, playing the straight-edged & selfish/driven perfectly. Crowe, Spacey & Cromwell too.

7. Old Gator - Jun 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Heh, yeah, about that….when you get to my age, your temporal perceptions do tend to fuzz up around the edges. Still, gorgeous as she is and brilliant as she has been in some other films – Fool for Love, 9-1/2 Weeks – I thought Basinger was the weak link in LA Confidential. Now if I remade that film….

8. Old Gator - Jun 28, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, even Danny DeVito, who I generally can’t stand, was great. But then, you ever seen Kevin Spacey give a bad performance? I still remember when he made everyone sit up and notice with that bit part in Outbreak – when his HAZMAT suit punctures and he mutters “I’m scared” – two words, the delivery floored me. He nearly made Pay it Forward watchable all by hisself.

9. Old Gator - Jun 28, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Why would I be thinking about Miley Cyrus at a moment like that? Uh…that’s a seventeen year old, right? Well, it’s still not legal but at least I’d not be quite the Humbert Humbert wannabe.
    But you definitely have the Macondo courtroom scene down cold. It was funnier when they nailed Miriam Alonso for campaign violations, of course, but….

10. Jaime - Jun 28, 2010 at 12:18 PM

If I remember right, Buster started saying that when a close relative (sister, maybe?) was diagnosed with cancer and began treatment. So maybe pointing out that she’s closer to death isn’t quite the right joke to make.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Jun 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I had never heard that before about Buster and/or his relative, so I obviously had no intention of making light of that or diminishing it or whatever.

12. Jaime - Jun 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I didn’t figure that was your intent. I found it in the ESPN archive – the first appearance is in his January 6 blog entry, following the news of his sister’s diagnosis, if you want to see it.

13. The Rabbit - Jun 28, 2010 at 8:06 PM

The Madison Bumgarner era: He also pinch hit on Sunday (in a 3 run game) and struck out, I think.
    Brandon Phillips was arrested for reckless driving: I don’t know jack about Ohio traffic law but if you are driving on the secondary roads in NJ and other states, such as, let’s say KS, OK, and GA doing (a reported) 72 in a 35, and stopped by a local, you might find yourself arrested. This can even occur when the local gendarme is giving you a break on the radar reading, no alcohol or drugs involvement, no accident or even other vehicles in sight, and no disrespect to the officer…not like I have experience in this matter.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3590)