Jun 28, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT
David O’Brien reports that Jason Heyward is suffering from a strained thumb ligament that, while not requiring surgery, will likely bother Heyward for the rest of the season (i.e. “until Heyward gets extended rest in the offseason).
It’s been apparent for some time that he’s not been right, as he’s been hitting a mere .172/.274/.232 over his past 24 games. The league is figuring him out, but they didn’t figure him out that much that quickly.
The Braves are 14-10 over that stretch, and that’s not too bad, but if he isn’t able to figure out how to play with the pain and become productive again, Atlanta is going to need to go out and get a bat in order to stay competitive in the East.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)