Jun 28, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
Danial Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that two bidders — Dallas businessman Jeff Beck and Houston businessman Jim Crane — have been in touch with the Rangers’ creditors recently. Both Beck and Crane have a history with the Rangers sale, with Beck being the primary financing source behind agent Dennis Gilbert’s failed bid, and Crane participating in the first round himself.
The team is not up for bids now — such a thing wouldn’t happen unless the bankruptcy plan fails to be approved next month — but they are obviously keeping tabs on things. My guess, given Kaplan’s apparent close connection to the team’s creditors: the creditors are trying to portray Crane and Beck as viable and eager alternatives that the
creditors can cite as they enter into final negotiations with the
Rangers over the bankruptcy plan.
Don’t get me wrong: I don’t doubt that Beck and Crane are keeping tabs on everything and will be prepared to pounce if and when they have the opportunity. But it’s really premature for either of them to actually be making overtures at this point . Right now the path, however rocky it appears, is laid out for Greenberg to still take control. If Crane and Beck were to truly insert themselves in the process, the bankruptcy court would likely be very unhappy and things would simply get mucked up.
So if I had to guess: much ado about nothing.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (221)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)