Jun 28, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
Danial Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that two bidders — Dallas businessman Jeff Beck and Houston businessman Jim Crane — have been in touch with the Rangers’ creditors recently. Both Beck and Crane have a history with the Rangers sale, with Beck being the primary financing source behind agent Dennis Gilbert’s failed bid, and Crane participating in the first round himself.
The team is not up for bids now — such a thing wouldn’t happen unless the bankruptcy plan fails to be approved next month — but they are obviously keeping tabs on things. My guess, given Kaplan’s apparent close connection to the team’s creditors: the creditors are trying to portray Crane and Beck as viable and eager alternatives that the
creditors can cite as they enter into final negotiations with the
Rangers over the bankruptcy plan.
Don’t get me wrong: I don’t doubt that Beck and Crane are keeping tabs on everything and will be prepared to pounce if and when they have the opportunity. But it’s really premature for either of them to actually be making overtures at this point . Right now the path, however rocky it appears, is laid out for Greenberg to still take control. If Crane and Beck were to truly insert themselves in the process, the bankruptcy court would likely be very unhappy and things would simply get mucked up.
So if I had to guess: much ado about nothing.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)