Jun 28, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
Danial Kaplan of SportsBusiness Journal reports that two bidders — Dallas businessman Jeff Beck and Houston businessman Jim Crane — have been in touch with the Rangers’ creditors recently. Both Beck and Crane have a history with the Rangers sale, with Beck being the primary financing source behind agent Dennis Gilbert’s failed bid, and Crane participating in the first round himself.
The team is not up for bids now — such a thing wouldn’t happen unless the bankruptcy plan fails to be approved next month — but they are obviously keeping tabs on things. My guess, given Kaplan’s apparent close connection to the team’s creditors: the creditors are trying to portray Crane and Beck as viable and eager alternatives that the
creditors can cite as they enter into final negotiations with the
Rangers over the bankruptcy plan.
Don’t get me wrong: I don’t doubt that Beck and Crane are keeping tabs on everything and will be prepared to pounce if and when they have the opportunity. But it’s really premature for either of them to actually be making overtures at this point . Right now the path, however rocky it appears, is laid out for Greenberg to still take control. If Crane and Beck were to truly insert themselves in the process, the bankruptcy court would likely be very unhappy and things would simply get mucked up.
So if I had to guess: much ado about nothing.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights