Jun 28, 2010, 3:47 PM EST
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals are really pushing to move Jose Guillen and continue to tell teams they will eat a lot of dollars.”
I’ll be shocked if the Royals can get any kind of decent prospect for Guillen, which is why I suggested last month they’d be better off simply dumping the 34-year-old designated hitter and handing his playing time to either Alex Gordon or Kila Ka’aihue.
Guillen had a big April, but he’s hit just .258 with a .385 slugging percentage over the past 58 games and batted .257 with a .415 slugging percentage in his first two seasons in Kansas City. He’s owed about $6 million for the second half, but even if the Royals are willing to eat that entire amount I can’t see any contenders wanting Guillen as an everyday player, let alone wanting him as an everyday player enough to part with something of value.
Meanwhile, Gordon and Ka’aihue continue to waste away at Triple-A despite ranking first and second among Pacific Coast League hitters in OPS. Gordon is hitting .338 with 1.054 OPS in 51 games. Ka’aihue is hitting .308 with a 1.052 OPS in 61 games. For comparison, Guillen has hit a combined .263 with a .743 OPS for his three-year Royals career. So instead of giving starts to two of the best hitters in the organization the Royals have kept them in the minors in the hopes of getting a low-level prospect for Guillen.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)