Jun 28, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals are really pushing to move Jose Guillen and continue to tell teams they will eat a lot of dollars.”
I’ll be shocked if the Royals can get any kind of decent prospect for Guillen, which is why I suggested last month they’d be better off simply dumping the 34-year-old designated hitter and handing his playing time to either Alex Gordon or Kila Ka’aihue.
Guillen had a big April, but he’s hit just .258 with a .385 slugging percentage over the past 58 games and batted .257 with a .415 slugging percentage in his first two seasons in Kansas City. He’s owed about $6 million for the second half, but even if the Royals are willing to eat that entire amount I can’t see any contenders wanting Guillen as an everyday player, let alone wanting him as an everyday player enough to part with something of value.
Meanwhile, Gordon and Ka’aihue continue to waste away at Triple-A despite ranking first and second among Pacific Coast League hitters in OPS. Gordon is hitting .338 with 1.054 OPS in 51 games. Ka’aihue is hitting .308 with a 1.052 OPS in 61 games. For comparison, Guillen has hit a combined .263 with a .743 OPS for his three-year Royals career. So instead of giving starts to two of the best hitters in the organization the Royals have kept them in the minors in the hopes of getting a low-level prospect for Guillen.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 6
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)