Jun 28, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals are really pushing to move Jose Guillen and continue to tell teams they will eat a lot of dollars.”
I’ll be shocked if the Royals can get any kind of decent prospect for Guillen, which is why I suggested last month they’d be better off simply dumping the 34-year-old designated hitter and handing his playing time to either Alex Gordon or Kila Ka’aihue.
Guillen had a big April, but he’s hit just .258 with a .385 slugging percentage over the past 58 games and batted .257 with a .415 slugging percentage in his first two seasons in Kansas City. He’s owed about $6 million for the second half, but even if the Royals are willing to eat that entire amount I can’t see any contenders wanting Guillen as an everyday player, let alone wanting him as an everyday player enough to part with something of value.
Meanwhile, Gordon and Ka’aihue continue to waste away at Triple-A despite ranking first and second among Pacific Coast League hitters in OPS. Gordon is hitting .338 with 1.054 OPS in 51 games. Ka’aihue is hitting .308 with a 1.052 OPS in 61 games. For comparison, Guillen has hit a combined .263 with a .743 OPS for his three-year Royals career. So instead of giving starts to two of the best hitters in the organization the Royals have kept them in the minors in the hopes of getting a low-level prospect for Guillen.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)