Jun 28, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that “the Royals are really pushing to move Jose Guillen and continue to tell teams they will eat a lot of dollars.”
I’ll be shocked if the Royals can get any kind of decent prospect for Guillen, which is why I suggested last month they’d be better off simply dumping the 34-year-old designated hitter and handing his playing time to either Alex Gordon or Kila Ka’aihue.
Guillen had a big April, but he’s hit just .258 with a .385 slugging percentage over the past 58 games and batted .257 with a .415 slugging percentage in his first two seasons in Kansas City. He’s owed about $6 million for the second half, but even if the Royals are willing to eat that entire amount I can’t see any contenders wanting Guillen as an everyday player, let alone wanting him as an everyday player enough to part with something of value.
Meanwhile, Gordon and Ka’aihue continue to waste away at Triple-A despite ranking first and second among Pacific Coast League hitters in OPS. Gordon is hitting .338 with 1.054 OPS in 51 games. Ka’aihue is hitting .308 with a 1.052 OPS in 61 games. For comparison, Guillen has hit a combined .263 with a .743 OPS for his three-year Royals career. So instead of giving starts to two of the best hitters in the organization the Royals have kept them in the minors in the hopes of getting a low-level prospect for Guillen.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)