Jun 28, 2010, 8:42 PM EST
Ryan Dempster, on what (former) rotation-mate Carlos Zambrano should do following his suspension-earning dugout tirade:
When you do those things and react the way he did you have to be the one to stand up and go out there and accept responsibility. I think he will be willing to do that but we’ll have to wait and see. I can’t make speculations because I don’t know what’s going to happen. Whatever happens, happens and we’re just worried about going out and winning the ball game tonight.
Asked about Zambrano having dinner with White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen hours after the incident, Dempster said:
Me? Would I do it? No. But to each their own. When you’re away from the field you can go hang out with whoever you want to hang out with and have dinner with whoever you want to eat with. I know [Zambrano and Guillen] are really good friends away from the field, and they talk a lot and they see each other a lot in the offseason. He’s free to do whatever he wants.
All things considered, I’d say that’s a pretty reasoned response from Dempster.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)