Jun 28, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse risks being sued by Scott Boras for using the phrase “mystery team” in referring to a Cliff Lee rumor, but he’ll take that risk to bring you the latest rumor. And the rumor is this: The Cardinals may be the “mystery team” making a play for Cliff Lee. Price suggest that the Cardinals’ 19 year-old pitching prospect Shelby Miller could be the bait.
I have a hard time featuring any play by St. Louis for Lee. For one thing, their biggest problem right now is that they have way too many holes in their lineup. Their problems are not the top of their rotation. For another thing, given the need to lock up Albert Pujols, the Cardinals aren’t in any position to give Cliff Lee a big contract after the season, which would basically make him a rental. In that case, Miller is too high a price. But if they go any lower, they’re going to get outbid by the Mets or someone else.
So I guess what I’m not really buying this one. It’s worth posting it, though, if for no other reason than to be able to revisit the old “Mystery Team” meme. We usually only get to see that in December and January. With all the hot weather we’ve been having lately, it’s quite refreshing, actually.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69