Jun 28, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse risks being sued by Scott Boras for using the phrase “mystery team” in referring to a Cliff Lee rumor, but he’ll take that risk to bring you the latest rumor. And the rumor is this: The Cardinals may be the “mystery team” making a play for Cliff Lee. Price suggest that the Cardinals’ 19 year-old pitching prospect Shelby Miller could be the bait.
I have a hard time featuring any play by St. Louis for Lee. For one thing, their biggest problem right now is that they have way too many holes in their lineup. Their problems are not the top of their rotation. For another thing, given the need to lock up Albert Pujols, the Cardinals aren’t in any position to give Cliff Lee a big contract after the season, which would basically make him a rental. In that case, Miller is too high a price. But if they go any lower, they’re going to get outbid by the Mets or someone else.
So I guess what I’m not really buying this one. It’s worth posting it, though, if for no other reason than to be able to revisit the old “Mystery Team” meme. We usually only get to see that in December and January. With all the hot weather we’ve been having lately, it’s quite refreshing, actually.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)