Jun 28, 2010, 6:15 PM EST
Now that their dream candidate has abandoned them — or vice-versa — the Marlins still need a manager, and Jon Heyman says that they’re “strongly” considering Diamondbacks’ coach Bo Porter for the job. Keep in mind that Heyman also had Valentine in San Juan today managing the Marlins, so it’s possible that his sources with the Feesh are less than solid.
Still, if Porter is being considered it would be quite a reversal from last week when his name first came up as a candidate. At the time it was thought — probably correctly — that the Marlins were just going through the motions of interviewing Porter and interim manager Edwin Rodriguez so as to appease a Commissioner’s Office which fines teams who don’t interview minority candidates (Porter is black).
It’s possible, I suppose, that whoever is sourcing Heyman’s story is merely floating Porter in order to make him seem like less of a token candidate and to distract the media from what appears to have been a trainwreck of a hiring process with respect to Valentine.
But it’s also possible, is it not, that the Commissioner’s Office’s insistence on teams considering minority candidates is paying off. I mean, sure, maybe Porter first came on the radar as a formality on the way to hiring Bobby Valentine, but if he sticks on the radar as a viable candidate after not being seriously thought of in the first place, hasn’t the “interview minorities” policy worked some good?
It’s an interesting question that would be even more interesting if Jeff Loria wasn’t kind of crazy and impossible and annoying.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)