Jun 28, 2010, 6:15 PM EDT
Now that their dream candidate has abandoned them — or vice-versa — the Marlins still need a manager, and Jon Heyman says that they’re “strongly” considering Diamondbacks’ coach Bo Porter for the job. Keep in mind that Heyman also had Valentine in San Juan today managing the Marlins, so it’s possible that his sources with the Feesh are less than solid.
Still, if Porter is being considered it would be quite a reversal from last week when his name first came up as a candidate. At the time it was thought — probably correctly — that the Marlins were just going through the motions of interviewing Porter and interim manager Edwin Rodriguez so as to appease a Commissioner’s Office which fines teams who don’t interview minority candidates (Porter is black).
It’s possible, I suppose, that whoever is sourcing Heyman’s story is merely floating Porter in order to make him seem like less of a token candidate and to distract the media from what appears to have been a trainwreck of a hiring process with respect to Valentine.
But it’s also possible, is it not, that the Commissioner’s Office’s insistence on teams considering minority candidates is paying off. I mean, sure, maybe Porter first came on the radar as a formality on the way to hiring Bobby Valentine, but if he sticks on the radar as a viable candidate after not being seriously thought of in the first place, hasn’t the “interview minorities” policy worked some good?
It’s an interesting question that would be even more interesting if Jeff Loria wasn’t kind of crazy and impossible and annoying.
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 3
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 10
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 36
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)