Jun 28, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
All the talk is about Cliff Lee, but the real action at the deadline may be with third and fourth starter types. Earlier today we heard of the Mets’ interest in Fausto Carmona or Ted Lilly (though Lilly is probably more of a second starter). Now we hear from Buster Olney that the Phillies are looking to add mid-range pitching as well. “Better than Jeremy Guthrie: Olney says, as if “Jeremy Guthries” have now become an accepted unit of measurement.
That leaves, I guess, guys like Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers and Pedro Martinez, all of whom have been cycled through Philly before. Ben Nicholson-Smith cites Edwin Jackson and Carmona. There are probably a lot of guys in that range who could theoretically become available.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)