Jun 28, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
All the talk is about Cliff Lee, but the real action at the deadline may be with third and fourth starter types. Earlier today we heard of the Mets’ interest in Fausto Carmona or Ted Lilly (though Lilly is probably more of a second starter). Now we hear from Buster Olney that the Phillies are looking to add mid-range pitching as well. “Better than Jeremy Guthrie: Olney says, as if “Jeremy Guthries” have now become an accepted unit of measurement.
That leaves, I guess, guys like Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers and Pedro Martinez, all of whom have been cycled through Philly before. Ben Nicholson-Smith cites Edwin Jackson and Carmona. There are probably a lot of guys in that range who could theoretically become available.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 22
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 81
- The Lester trade is a win-win 110
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)