Jun 28, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
All the talk is about Cliff Lee, but the real action at the deadline may be with third and fourth starter types. Earlier today we heard of the Mets’ interest in Fausto Carmona or Ted Lilly (though Lilly is probably more of a second starter). Now we hear from Buster Olney that the Phillies are looking to add mid-range pitching as well. “Better than Jeremy Guthrie: Olney says, as if “Jeremy Guthries” have now become an accepted unit of measurement.
That leaves, I guess, guys like Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers and Pedro Martinez, all of whom have been cycled through Philly before. Ben Nicholson-Smith cites Edwin Jackson and Carmona. There are probably a lot of guys in that range who could theoretically become available.
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 2
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 13
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 24
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 43
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)