Jun 28, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
All the talk is about Cliff Lee, but the real action at the deadline may be with third and fourth starter types. Earlier today we heard of the Mets’ interest in Fausto Carmona or Ted Lilly (though Lilly is probably more of a second starter). Now we hear from Buster Olney that the Phillies are looking to add mid-range pitching as well. “Better than Jeremy Guthrie: Olney says, as if “Jeremy Guthries” have now become an accepted unit of measurement.
That leaves, I guess, guys like Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers and Pedro Martinez, all of whom have been cycled through Philly before. Ben Nicholson-Smith cites Edwin Jackson and Carmona. There are probably a lot of guys in that range who could theoretically become available.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)