Jun 28, 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
All the talk is about Cliff Lee, but the real action at the deadline may be with third and fourth starter types. Earlier today we heard of the Mets’ interest in Fausto Carmona or Ted Lilly (though Lilly is probably more of a second starter). Now we hear from Buster Olney that the Phillies are looking to add mid-range pitching as well. “Better than Jeremy Guthrie: Olney says, as if “Jeremy Guthries” have now become an accepted unit of measurement.
That leaves, I guess, guys like Kevin Millwood, Brett Myers and Pedro Martinez, all of whom have been cycled through Philly before. Ben Nicholson-Smith cites Edwin Jackson and Carmona. There are probably a lot of guys in that range who could theoretically become available.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 127
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (137)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)