Jun 28, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT
The only thing we know for sure is that Edwin Rodriguez is still the manager of the Marlins. Which, given what I said the other day about the whole Puerto Rico thing, is nice. Otherwise: pure chaos.
As Drew chronicled last night in a series of updates that reflects just how wacky the situation is down in Miami, Bobby Valentine is no longer being considered for the Marlins’ job. Probably, anyway. Late last night Ken Rosenthal reported what everyone else is saying — the deal is off — but added one little tidbit: the dispute between Valentine and the club was apparently not about money. Rather, it was about “philosophy.”
That could mean anything. As Rosenthal notes, there appears to be some dissent between Loria and team president David Samson, the latter of which is not a Valentine fan. It could also have to do with timing and the leaks of his impending hiring and any number of things. Loria is apparently nuts and Valentine has never been accused of being some kind of ego-free zen master, so it could have broken down over the backdrop for the press conference for all we know.
What we do know, however, is that the Marlins are a train wreck at the moment. Rosenthal sums it up the best: “At best, the Marlins are confused. At worst, they are in turmoil. Either
way, they are an embarrassment.” He also calls Loria a “low-rent George Steinbrenner.” That made me laugh, but I don’t think you can divorce Steinbrenner’s, um, colorful nature from his high-rent ways. He thought he could — and often did — buy whatever he wanted. That’s pretty much what characterized everything he did and what made him the unique phenomenon that he was, for good and for bad. Loria, on the other hand, is just a jerk and a cheapskate and those are really a dime a dozen.
But back to the Marlins: who would possibly want that job now?
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)