Jun 29, 2010, 1:10 PM EST
We haven’t gotten any official, on-the-record word from anyone about what’s going on with the Marlins’ manager hunt, so we may as well fight the unconfirmed “Bobby V. is out” fire with some contradictory fire from the Miami Herald:
On Sunday, a major-league source told The Miami Herald that Bobby
Valentine, who was believed to be the front-runner for the job that
opened when Fredi Gonzalez was fired last week, was no longer a
candidate. Other local and national media outlets reported the same
information, and baseball commissioner Bud Selig was notified of that
On Monday, though, another big-league source said not
to count out Valentine just yet.
“Everybody’s still a
candidate,” including Valentine, the source said.
Monday if the Marlins had told him he was no longer being considered,
Valentine text-messaged a one-word reply: “No.”
This has all the stink of an internal power struggle, not a falling out between Valentine and the team. If it was the latter, both Valentine and the Marlins would have had their spin out by now, with Bobby V. surrogates talking about mixed signals from the team and team surrogates talking about Valentine being a prima donna or whatever.
We have none of that. We do have someone leaking to the Miami reporter that they’re still considering Bobby and someone else leaking to Jon Heyman — who makes his home in Miami in the winter — that the team has moved on to other candidates.
It’s all speculation on my part, if I had to guess, the Valentine-loving Loria or someone close to him is talking to the Miami Herald and someone closer to baseball operations is talking to Heyman, each side trying to create their own reality with the spin.
Which is great fun for all of us who aren’t Marlins fans.
(thanks to Old Gator for the heads up)
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 13
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 46
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (134)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)